5 Ways to Procrastinate Productively This Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

So finals season is fast approaching and for most of us that means a lot of studying and even more procrastinating. Whether we care to admit it or not, most of us are guilty of some pretty extreme procrastinating, especially during times where it matters most (FINALS). After hours of procrastinating, I usually end up feeling pretty bad about all the time I’ve wasted. This is why I started trying to find ways to procrastinate productively. I know it kind of seems like an oxymoron, but it’s really not. To procrastinate productively is to put off what you really should be working on but, instead of completely wasting that time, do something to better yourself.

1.     Exercise

a.     Exercising is not just important for your physical health, but also for your mental health. Mental health is always important, but everyone should make sure to take time out during finals season to keep his or her mental health in check. In the words of Elle Woods, “endorphins make you happy and happy people just don’t kill their husbands.” Studies have shown that the better you feel going into exams the better you will do. So, instead of taking your sixth nap of the day, head to the gym to get in a good workout that will keep you feeling and looking good.

2.     Read a Book for Fun

a.     For many students reading for fun seems like a distant memory. Whether it’s a 300-page reading assignment for a history class or reading ten scientific journals, it seems like we all have copious amounts of reading that have to be completed for class. An activity that used to fill us with joy now fills us with dread. Procrastinating is a perfect time to take back the joy school has stolen from us. Find a book that looks good to you and just read. Don’t worry about trying to understand every aspect of the book. Just read and take in the story.  Even though you are not analyzing the book for a paper or discussion, simply reading powers the mind and will remind you of why you once enjoyed it so much.

3.     Do Your Laundry

a.     This one is kind of a message to myself, but I’m sure other people need to hear it too. Around finals, my laundry always seems to pile up because I am too busy to get to it. Well, during those times where you are watching Netflix instead of studying, you can be running a load of laundry. A clean space fosters a clean mind. Yep, you read that correctly. Keeping your room tidy can actually help some people perform better in school. So maybe your mom was on to something all those times she told you to clean your room.

4.     Apply for Internships

a.     This one is pretty self-explanatory. You need a job and, in order to get one, you must apply for one or, more often than not, many. You can find a job and not study at the same time. Really, it’s a win-win. Even your parents will be pleased with this form of procrastination.

5.     Relax

a.     It’s so important to take time out around finals to just relax. Finals can be stressful so find something you enjoy doing and do it. It will help you stay calm and forget about how hard your finals will be just for a little bit. Also, remember that finals are just another exam and your grades do not define you.

Now you can see that productive procrastination is really a thing and can even be beneficial. So get out there, procrastinate, and crush your finals.

Images: 1,2,3,4