5 Ways to Make This Halloween the Best One Yet: Off-Campus Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We all know Halloween is NOT going to look the same as it normally does, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun! As students living off-campus, we have tons of options for decorating, dressing up and having our best Halloweens ever. Check out these 5 suggestions for how to have a coronavirus-safe spooky season!

Decorate your house or apartment

Even though you’re not going to be able to have the big Halloween party you had planned for, you can still have fun decking out your house for the month of October. Speaking from experience, going to Target with your roommates and spending an excessive amount of money on Halloween decorations is an ideal Saturday night activity. Be the envy of the neighborhood this year and go all out! Take a look at this list of DIY Halloween decorations if you want to save money and be more sustainable.

Make Halloween-inspired cocktails

Having a ~boozy~ Halloween this year is more essential than ever. Even if it’s just with your roommates, have some fun mixing and stirring up different cocktails that are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit. Check out these 20+ Halloween drink ideas to get inspired! (Drink responsibly!)

Go to the Corn Maze or Pumpkin Patch at Thistleberry Farm

One of the benefits of living off-campus is that we have access to much more of the South Bend area than we did when we were living on-campus. Take advantage of this opportunity this October and go to a corn maze or pumpkin patch! These are perfect fall activities and you’ll be able to get all of the CGA (Christian Girl Autumn) photos you’ve been dreaming of.

Carve pumpkins

We don’t have to give up all of our fall traditions. Gather a group of friends together outside and dive into carving pumpkins together! This is a very COVID-friendly activity and will make your house or apartment look as festive as you feel. Don’t forget to roast the pumpkin seeds!

Go trick-or-treating

Your first thought when you saw this suggestion may have been, “I wish I could go trick-or-treating, but I look way too old to get away with it now.” That’s probably true, but you can still get the thrill by organizing a trick-or-treating event with your friends! Each household or apartment can buy treats, dress up, and then go around to their friends’ places to receive goodies. Get ready to relive the Halloween of your youth!

Doing Halloween during COVID-19 is going to be all about being creative, but we’ve been getting creative during Halloween since we were little kids. We’ve got this! Have a happy and safe Halloween!