5 Ways to Get in the Holiday Spirit Away from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It feels like Halloween was just last week, and now it’s already December! The holiday season seems to fly by, especially when you’re in college and living away from home. Unfortunately, the beginning of December also means that finals are quickly approaching. However, there are several easy ways to get into the holiday spirit despite the end-of-semester stress!

1.  Decorate your room

It doesn’t take very much time to setup a little Christmas tree or garland, and you’ll thank yourself every time you step into your room! If you are feeling extra festive, decorate your Christmas tree with blue, gold, and green for the ultimate Irish decor. You could even cut your own snowflakes to tape onto your walls or hang from the ceiling. Turn on the Christmas music and take some time to enjoy the best time of the year.

2.  Make a roommate Christmas card

Enjoy the beautiful snowy campus and take some dome pictures with your best friends. Don’t forget to wear your cutest head-wrap, mittens, and scarves! If you have time, you can make your very own Christmas card to send to your friends and family. Not only will your relatives love getting mail from you, but you’ll cherish the photos with your fellow domers forever. Make sure to warm up with a hot seasonal drink from Starbucks after the shoot!

3.  Start a Secret Santa exchange

Use a Secret Santa generator online to randomly choose names and have them sent via e-mail. Some sites even allow each person to make a wish list. Take a study break the weekend before finals to exchange gifts and have some fun. Don’t forget the snacks, beverages, and ugly Christmas sweaters!

4.  Take Advantage of Online Shopping

One of the greatest things about the holiday season, especially the weekend after Thanksgiving, are all the great deals in stores and online. Treat yourself to some online shopping, or buy gifts for your family online during your study breaks. There’s less than a week between the last day of finals and Christmas, so avoid the crowded malls filled with last-minute shoppers, and try shopping online.

5.  Make Christmas cookies

One of the most obvious ways to celebrate the season is to make Christmas cookies! To save time and energy, buy pre-made dough, and use cookie cutters to make the cookies into festive shapes. Decorate them with icing and sprinkles with your friends. The best thing about Christmas cookies is eating them while you study to help ease all of your worries. Package some for your friends so they have study treats as well!

Living away from home for the first time during the holiday season is hard, but try to make the most of it with your college friends before everyone says goodbye for six weeks. Enjoy the snowy South Bend December while you can, especially if you live some place where it doesn’t snow. Just because you missed some of your favorite childhood Christmas traditions back at home doesn’t mean you can’t make new ones with your new Notre Dame family here in South Bend.  Happy Holidays!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1