samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips to Focus Like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Focusing can be one of the biggest struggles for a busy college student—there’s so much to be done; how can you possibly be expected to focus on just one thing? But always being distracted does not bode well for your time management skills and learning how to focus well can drastically cut down the amount of time it takes you to complete a task.  

Do you find yourself easily distracted? Here are some tried and true tips to help you focus up and get things done.

1. Blast a song right before you have to work.

It might not be scientifically proven that this works, but it works for me. I feel like blasting a loud song and letting yourself jam out for a few minutes gets you prepped to hone in on that work you have to do and cut the crap when you need to.

2. Change up the scenery.

If you know that every time you try to do work in your room it ends up being and Netflix and nap session, get your butt to the library or a study area so that you can limit distractions.

3. Know when you’re on your A-game.

Plan your time so you don’t have to do work when your brain isn’t at its sharpest. Some people work their best in the morning while others would rather write that essay between midnight to 3am. Though you can’t always perfectly schedule your work, try to work on your harder assignments when you’re awake and fresh and save the easier things for when you’re less on top of it.

4. Set aside a short amount of time to be super productive.

It’s hard to be motivated at all if you know you have the entire afternoon to complete one task. Give yourself an hour and see how much you can get done. After all, how bad can an hour really be? Once you’re done with whatever it is, reward yourself with a coffee or a little break.

5. Stop multitasking.

Seriously. Whether you turn your phone off or block social media on your laptop, it’s important to avoid as many distractions as possible. Multitasking makes tasks take way longer and leads you to make careless mistakes.

Happy studying, collegiettes! XOXO, HCND 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hey guys! My name is Hannah Beighle and I'm a sophomore originally from Seattle, WA but am loving my new home in Breen-Phillips Hall at Notre Dame. You can find me spending all of my flex points (and my friends' flex points) at Starbucks or getting sunburned outside. I love baking, playing sports, binge-watching reality TV, and spending time with friends!