5 Songs to Set Your Christmas Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Hey readers! Do you love Christmas time but you’re tired of hearing the same generic songs played in EVERY department store? Are you in a certain mood and want a Christmas jam that’ll match your feelings so you can have a dance party with yourself? Never fear! Here’s a list of 5 Christmas jams (and their corresponding mood) that you’re sure to be playing on repeat this season.

1. Groovy: “This Christmas” by Brian Courtney Wilson

I love this song SO MUCH, so I was really happy when I found this version. I’ve heard this song start out kinda mellow in the beginning and then the beat drops, but let me tell you, this one rocks because it pumps you up right from the beginning. It has a really soulful feel, so I highly recommend this for anyone who likes R&B, Motown, funk, etc. I can’t help but sway to this song immediately when it comes on! And as a bonus suggestion, Chris Brown’s version has the same groovy, sexy feel. His voice is just to die for. It makes my heart melt! If you want to feel super confident and beautiful, this version is the one for you. Give it time to let the beat drop if you’re not feeling it in the beginning. YOU WILL THANK ME.

2. Flirty: “Winter Things” by Ariana Grande

I’ve probably been listening to Ariana’s album Christmas and Chill since the beginning of November. I’m really not ashamed whatsoever. There is something about this girl that makes me feel like I can conquer the world. Her voice is totally angelic and she’s so precious. If you’re feeling in the flirty mood and you’re ready to snuggle up with your significant other by the fire sipping hot chocolate, give this song a listen. There are tons of other amazing songs on this album too, but it would take too long to go through them all. Just trust me when I say you need to make this album a Spotify playlist.

3. Chill: “Winter Wonderland/Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Pentatonix and Tori Kelly

How cool is it to hear people mash up a traditional Christmas song with another classic everyday hit? It’s even cooler when they’re using their own voices as other instruments like drums, sound effects, etc. This is the song that made me a Pentatonix fan. It’s a perfect jam to play when you’re just hanging with friends casually or doing homework. It will also inspire you to join an a capella choir. I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for other Pentatonix Christmas songs.

4. Happy/Excited: “What Christmas Means to Me” by Stevie Wonder

I love some good Stevie Wonder songs, but I actually first heard this song in the movie Elf. I’m sure you’ll recognize it too. I’m pretty sure it comes on when Buddy and his little bro are running around in the department store. Ugh, so cute. We all need an excuse to watch that movie. It generally puts me in a great mood, just like this song! This would be the perfect song to play at an ugly Christmas sweater party when you need something that’s different but that everyone kinda knows. It just makes me want to dance around! Or jump on all of the beds in the sleep department of a big store…

5. Silly: “Jingle Bells (feat. The Puppini Sisters)” by Michael Bublé

Michael Bublé’s Christmas album is the best Christmas album to ever exist. All of the songs are so catchy and adorable! This one is by far my favorite. It sounds super retro with the Puppini Sisters, which is totally my music style. You won’t be able to resist dancing around to this one! You’re guaranteed to love the big band style, even if you’ve never been into that music before. There’s something about this song that everyone I’ve ever played it for has loved. Keep your mind open!

Are you in the Christmas spirit yet? Well get started now because by the time you’re finished listening to these tunes, you won’t be able to resist wrapping everything in tinsel and sipping on hot chocolate while you watch The Grinch. There’s not much longer until we’re all cozy back at home without a care in the world! Cheers!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,

Well hi there! My name is Madelyn, and I'm a freshman at the University of Notre Dame majoring in Pre-Medicine and Romance Languages. I'm a lover of all things fashion and beauty, and it's my dream to intern with a magazine one day. You can catch me perusing Vogue, singing in the Opera, dancing with Troop ND, boxing for exercise, and obsessing over anything pink. I hope you can find something lovely in my articles that sticks with you! Cheers!! XO