5 Fabulous Feminist Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Tired of having to lose ten pounds just to look good in a barely-there Halloween costume? Sick of being oogled by hundreds of guys because your Halloween costume, while it empowers you, shows a bit more skin than anticipated? Fear not! I have the solution! Here are five fast and fabulous feminist-approved Halloween costumes to flaunt this weekend! 

1. Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom (or Minerva, if you prefer the Roman culture)

The most intelligent, classy ladies make the most intelligent, classy goddesses. Athena was known as the goddess of wisdom, inspirationa, law and order, strategy, and courage. She was known to accompany heroes and warriors, and she was the patroness of Athens. I think that sounds like a pretty great feminist role model. Dressing as Athena couldn’t be simpler – grab that bedsheet or fabric you wore to the Keough Toga Dance and wrap it up like a toga. Here’s the best way I’ve found to tie a bed sheet into a toga. Throw on a laurel wreath, a belt, and gladiator sandals, too. Accent with owls (one of the symbols of Athena) and you’re good to go! 

2. Rosie the Riveter 

The history behind this iconic superstar began during World War II when American women were encouraged to join the work force and war effort while the men were away fighting. This costume got popular a few years back, and it’s no surprise! With the denim trend exploding, it’s never been easier to imitate this symbol of female strength. Grab your chambray shirt, a red bandana, and roll up your sleeves for this comfy and effortless look. For your bottom, think functionality – jeans or leggings and Keds or Vans are your best bet! 

3. Tina Fey/Liz Lemon or Amy Poehler/Leslie Knope

Role models to women everywhere, Tina and Amy, as well as their fantastic characters, have looks that are easy to emulate and scarcely require costumes. Personally, I love both women but I’m blond so I plan to dress up as Leslie Knope this Halloween. For the Leslie Knope/Liz Lemon costume, simply wear something business casual. To distinguish one character from the other, choose an outfit that comes from a particular episode or season photo shoot.

Leslie Knope, ready for action

Liz Lemon, she can have it all! 

4. Amelia Earhart 

As the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean, Amelia Earhart is one hot and motivating lady. Not only did she jettison across the ocean, but she also set a course in fashion. For this chic costume, wear a white button down, a fur vest or collar, and a leather jacket with jeans. Bonus points if you invest in the hat (which I would totally wear when it starts to get cold). 

Here’s an alternate look of which I’m a huge fan. 

5. Female Robin Thicke

If you haven’t seen this video, watch immediately and be inspired by these striking, sassy law students who aren’t afraid to express themselves. Don black jeans or pants, a white top, leather jacket, and heels to make a statement as big as the music video for Blurred Lines or the VMAs. If that doesn’t make a big enough splash, see if you can find a black and white striped suit to help with your dancing the night away! 

Don’t like these? Try Googling Susan B. Anthony, Madame Marie Curie, or Helen Keller for even more ideas! Have fun, be smart, and happy Halloween!

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!