Career

5 Books Every Aspiring Businesswoman Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s face it… being a woman in a male-dominated world is never easy and often quite discouraging. As we head into ~sweater weather~ and pumpkin spice everything, it’s time to add some new books to the list for those slow, cozy mornings. We become who/what we let into our brains, so reading some of these inspiring books about chasing dreams and finding yourself can add some inspiration into your daily life.

Girl, Wash Your Face

Hollis takes you on a wake-up journey in which she inspires you to take control of your life and make it what you want it to be. Every part of the book is essential and should be in the hands of every woman out there. Hollis recognizes that life is messy and sometimes we all need a little help. Her writing is entertaining and motivating – you won’t be disappointed.

Lean In

Lean In is a piece of golden advice for every graduate. Sheryl Sandberg takes what she learned about balancing ~ or not balancing ~ career and family life. With her rigorous career, Sheryl has transformed how people view women in business. As one of Forbes Most Powerful Women, she truly lives up to the name and does it extremely well. The advice in this book is unlike any other and applies to any and all aspects of life.

The Eighth Habit

Stephen Covey outdoes himself with this book, a complement to his many other writings. The book focuses heavily on ways we can understand why we do what we do and how to transform our actions and thoughts into something better. He poses his ideas in ways that are easy to understand and entertaining to read. Perfect for a night in with pizza and a blanket!

Present over Perfect

Life is stressful. Let’s face it – we all need some help from time to time. Shauna’s book reminds us all to breathe and take a step back from the crazy thing we call life. This book should be in the hands of every young woman and the ideas should be taken to heart. I will always keep this one with me!

Grit

Grit is just what the title says but better. Angela Duckworth inspires everyone who reads the book to find goals and dig deep to achieve them. The book is a short-read, perfect for a weekend getaway or bonfire at home. After reading Grit you will be wanting to jump up and make your life what you dream it to be.

Happy fall and happy reading!

Addie Pulley

Notre Dame '22

Hey! My name is Addie and I am passionate about all things health, fitness, and wellness! I love running and spending days in the kitchen creating healthy recipes as well as reading as many books as I can find. I'm a mountain-loving, adventure junkie and I will take any chance to be outdoors with my dogs and horses!