42 Signs You Attend the University of Notre Dame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

There are certain things that determine whether you are truly a Notre Dame student. As if we need another article that explains exactly what Notre Dame is all about, we’ve compiled 42 indicators that you attended Our Lady’s University. How many can you check off? 

1. You understand the significance of ’42.

2. You have convinced yourself that the traditions of older dorms are better than air conditioning.

3. At one point or another you have felt personally victimized by Aristotle, Plato, or Descartes.

4. You have visited the Grotto.

5. At 3:00 am.

6. You learned the hard way to always save your work on Sakai.

7. You have worn PJs to mass.

8. “Here Come the Irish” has been or will be your ringtone at some point.

9. You have gotten sunburned while tailgating.

10. You have gotten frostbite while tailgating.

11. It is pronounced “Apple-LATCH-ah” not “Apple-LAY-tcha”.

12. You get overly excited when the closing song at Mass is announced.

13. You have sweat out your entire body weight at a dorm party.

14. You may not like sports, but you love football.

15. Fall is your favorite season because of football, leaves, and Fall Break. 

16. You actually go to the Bookstore for books.

17. But you usually end up buying another t-shirt and coffee mug to add to your collection.

18. A “suburb of Chicago” can refer to a village five minutes away from the city or a small town even farther away from Chicago than South Bend.

19. You shamelessly take pictures of the Dome every time you walk by it.

20. You have to explain parietals to all of your friends and family (No, they are not a curfew. Yes, we still go out and have fun.).

21. You have a love-hate relationship with Grab ‘n Go.

22. The chances of catching a Fever on Thursdays are dangerously high.

23. You have taken a picture with your roommate in front of Zahm’s “Here Come the Irish” sign.

24. “Straight Outta Compton” has a totally different meaning to you.

25. You know all the lyrics to “Mr. Brightside.

26. And sing them as loud as you can when the song comes on at every party. 

27. Domerfest was the best night of your life.

28. You have very strong opinions when it comes to ABP vs. Starbucks coffee.

29. You have splashed in Stonehenge after a Notre Dame victory.

30. You cringed your way through Frosh-O (Welcome Weekend, oops), but would do anything to experience it again.

31. You have instagrammed a #nofilter Dome pic and captioned it “Love Thee.”

32. You wake up to the Basilica bells every Sunday.

33. Friday nights don’t get started until you hear the recorder version of “My Heart Will Go On.

34. Squirrels are either the reason for or the bane of your existence.

35. You have run around your dorm asking for obscure accessories hours before your SYR.

36. You avoid God Quad grass at all costs.

37. “North/South/West/God/Mod Quad, Best Quad!”

38. Your friends may think their dorms are the best, but you know that your dorm truly is THE best on campus.

39. You have stood through rain, snow, and blazing heat in order to sing the Alma Mater at the end of a football game.

40. You have lit a candle at the Grotto in a time of despair and again in a time of hope.

41. You have laughed until you’ve cried and cried until you’ve laughed with the friends you will cherish for the rest of your life.

42. “If you’ve been there, no explanation is necessary. If you haven’t, none is adequate.” – Lou Holtz

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4-10 provided by author, 11

S. Riker

Notre Dame

.