kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

3 Things You Should Know About Making Tough Decisions in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The hardest thing about growing up is making tough decisions about our lives. While some decisions may be easier than others, there comes a point where you will be put between a rock and a hard place. Recently, I was put in a difficult predicament in which I had to choose between two very important things in my life. I have never not known what to do in a situation and, for the first time ever, I had absolutely no idea how to move forward. When it comes to those extremely hard decisions that seem like a fork in the road, these three tips should make your life a little easier.

It’s okay NOT to know the answer.

During this time in my life when I did not know how to make the right decision, not knowing what to do created incredible stress in my life. I had to sit down with myself and come to terms with the fact that it was okay that I didn’t know the answer. Some things just happen to be out of our control. This realization made me develop other skills that were helpful in making decisions such as pro/con lists and predicting outcomes. With this new skill set, I was able to weigh the outcome of my decision and figure out how to move forward.

Talking to people helps!

Sometimes the best way to handle a situation is to talk it out! Talk to your friend, roommate, teacher, adviser, mentor or just anyone who’s willing to listen. On the other hand, expect to receive constructive criticism. I know that after talking to a couple of my advisers, they were direct with me and while it was a little jarring, it was also in my best interest. So, talk to people! Get different perspectives! It’ll help you with that tough decision.

Acceptance is key.

Sometimes decisions don’t work out in your favor, and that is just part of life. For me, the hardest part about making a decision is accepting whatever the outcome is gonna be. In order to move forward, you must take your time. I find that journaling about how I feel helps me to process decisions, but with whatever method works for you, moving forward is ultimately the most important step in making tough decisions in college.

Emilia Castelao

Notre Dame '22

Born and raised in New Orleans, I, Emilia Castelao, am an aspiring Filmmaker. I see the world through an empathetic lens, and I strive to share the stories of those who have had the most emotional impact on my life. I graduated from Lusher Charter School with a Certificate of Artistry in Media Arts. I now attend the University of Notre Dame, where I study Film and Global Affairs with a minor in Journalism. I want to use the art of writing/filmmaking to better understand the world around me and make a positive impact in the lives of others.