21 Reasons Why Your Long Distance Best Friend is Your Bestie for Life!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

They know everything about you.

They know about your type in guys, your favorite song, what toppings you take on your pizza. Most importantly though, they were there for you when your high school boyfriend cheated on you. They were there for you when your parents got divorced. They were even there for you when you were in the hospital with appendicitis. Whether its the big things in life, or the little things, your best friend was always there.  

They know exactly how to cheer you up.

Cute cat videos, WorldStar fights, even corny puns can’t help but put a large smile on your face, and your bestie knows that, regardless of the distance between you two.  

They’re best friends with your parents and vice versa!

You’re lucky enough to have an extra set (or two) of parents that support you and cheer for you just as loudly as your own parents!  

And their siblings are your siblings.

Your routine Skype dates help you get through the week.

You guys talk, do homework over Skype, even watch movies together! Skype dates are things that you look forward to because it’s a chance to catch up with what’s going on with them. It also gives you a chance to laugh and spend time with your friend!  

You can vent about you roommates/ND friends without having to worry about drama.

There are some things that you just can’t tell your friends here at Notre Dame. Is your roommate leaving all of her food wrappers all over your room? Is your best friend being a little too needy lately and you need her to back off? These are things you can tell your bestie from back home without any judgement or worry that she will tell other people! She’s there to comfort you, and you always are glad to help her too!

But you can still talk about the losers from your hometown that peaked in high school.

Did someone get pregnant or arrested? Did that girl you suspected would drop out of school do exactly that? These are the kind of JUICY gossip details that you can discuss with your at home BFF, and catch up on things that happened back home.  

AND your new friends/roommates love them too!

What is better than spending time with your favorite people in the world? Nothing. It’s so fun for your ND friend and your bestie to catch up, get along, and party together!  

You constantly make plans to visit one another.

One day, you will drink coffee outside of a café next to the Eiffel Tower. You will backpack through Europe, go to clubs in Buenos Aires, and walk the Great Wall of China together. You have such a large BFF bucketlist, that you don’t even know where to begin (but you can’t wait to start)!

And when you do visit one another, it’s like nothing has ever change. 

You two go to the same Starbucks you always did in high school, order your typical order, and settle in to cuddle for a movie night. You laugh, and relate, and cry and are just as open as you were back then. Time has passed and you two have changed, but your friendship hasn’t. Not one bit.  

They’ll answer the phone regardless of the time/place.

Whether you need a second opinion on a dress for your next job interview, or you need advice at three in the morning, your best friend is always there to give you advice. Regardles of the situation, your best friend is always so reliable and you know that they will always have your back!

They will look at that weird pimple/hair you have.  

Because sometimes you just need someone to tell your that you’re okay and not going to die.  

They’ve seen you at your snapchat selfie ugly…

Double chin selfies for the win!  And even though they may screenshot it for future blackmail, they would never intentionally spread those on the Internet for your crush to see.  

And at your night on the town finest. 

You send each other cute little letters and care packages.

And they always know exactly what Facebook posts will make your bad week better!

You eventually begin to speak alike, dress alike, and even act alike.

You know they have your bachelorette/bridal shower already preplanned

You have pinned your dream engagement ring, flower decorations, theme, wedding dresses, and even honeymoon location! They know everything about you, what you like, and what you want, so you KNOW having them as your maid of honor would be the best decision possible!

They are straight up and tell you the things you don’t always want to hear

Yes, you do look fat in that skirt, and they will tell you that, not because they want to hurt your feelings, but because they want you to look your best! She will also tell you when you’re reading into your crush’s texts, or whether it’s time to move on. She wants what’s best for you, and will do anything to ensure that you are taken care of!

But they act like your #1 cheerleader and supporter.

Because you know your friendship is strong enough to withstand everything…

You will be best friends, regardless of how much time, distance, or circumstances that arise.  

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, provided by the author

Images: 269