The 2013 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’m sure many of you tuned into the 2013 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show on Tuesday like I did. Now, I don’t know about you, but I was a little disappointed with how it turned out. Last year was the first time I had ever watched the event and it set the bar high. The outfits were on point, the sets were amazing, and the artists delivered. There wasn’t just one, but three big names (Rihanna, Bruno Mars, and Justin Bieber) and all gave amazing performances. This year I was expecting the same spectacular show, however I couldn’t help but be a little disappointed at the results.

The Outfits

Candice Swanepoel kicked off the show modeling this year’s Fantasy Bra, which I thought was a good start to the show. This year’s bra is priced at $10 million and was encrusted with 4,200 jewels including rubies, diamonds, and blue and yellow sapphires.

The themes for this show were Snow Angels, British Invasion, Shipwrecked, Parisian Nights, Pink Network and Birds of Paradise. I liked most of the outfits for these, but I was a little weirded out by Birds of Paradise. I also was not a fan of Pink Network. While the colors were fun, I thought the smiley faces everywhere were a little too much. Emoticons should be for the phone only, not your wardrobe.

The Wings

Last year I was in awe at the wings. To be honest, I think they were my favorite part of the entire show. Victoria Secret models are called Angels and what’s an angel without her wings? I was really hoping to see the same thing this year, but sadly only a few popped out at me. I particularly liked the wings in the Snow Angels collection. The way Lily Donaldson’s wings flowed as she walked down the runway reminded me of last year’s show and I would’ve liked to see more of those. I also thought all the wings that resembled snowflakes, such as Lily Aldridge’s, were really creative and they just encompassed the winter season.

The Music

I was not a big fan of the music choices this year. The performers included Taylor Swift,  Fall Out Boy, New York’s Great Big World, and UK newcomers Neon Jungle. Fall Out Boy opened the show with My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ‘Em Up) and was joined by Taylor Swift. Their performance was pretty good, but I did not like Fall Out Boy’s second song. I’m not sure whether I’m less in tune with the music industry than I thought, but I had never heard of Great Big World or Neon Jungle, so those were interesting to watch. Taylor Swift closed the show and she did not disappoint (OK I’m a huge Taylor fan so I may be a bit biased). Her performance of I Knew You Were Trouble was spot on! I thought the dress she was wearing was beautiful, she looked amazing, and her vocals were great as a well.

Now, while I wasn’t as amazed with this year’s show as I was with last year’s I still think the whole production is kind of amazing. It’s a little ridiculous that this year’s show cost $12 million to produce and that they showcased a $10 million bra, but I feel like they successfully geared the show toward a primarily female audience and made everything very fun and entertaining.

Photo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Hi! I'm currently a sophomore at ND. I'm originally from Puerto Rico where the sun shines all year long and the beach is never more than 10 minutes away. I'm still kind of undecided as to what my future plans are but I'm sure I'll find those along the way. During my free time I love to chill with Netflix, read, or just hang with my friends.