2013 Emmys Awards: Women Who Won on Stage and on the Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s be honest, the best part of televised award shows is the red carpet and all the fashion glory. Women on the red carpet get to wear gowns we wish we had the monetary means to for our high school proms. Sometimes they can’t even walk in their luxurious outfits, but they’re also usually works of art – meant to be admired while the model is still. I don’t know about you, but I’m thankful for these women donning painful high heels and delicate dresses so that I can experience the free red carpet fashion show that accompanies most award shows.

While the breadth of amazing fashion debuted at the 2013 Emmys Awards reaches far beyond the outfits featured here, I’ve decided to highlight some of the talented ladies who succeeded both in their award categories and on the red carpet.

Primetime Emmys

Claire Danes won “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama” for her portrayal of Carrie Mathison in Homeland (Showtime). The detail on her gown is so equisite that it remains bold even though the dress matches her skin color. This delicate ensemble mimics an ethereal quality – it’s a dress angels would surely wear if they were to fly through the red carpet.

Anna Gunn won “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama” for her portrayal of Skyler White in Breaking Bad (AMC). Gunn’s ensemble masters the intersection of bold and delicate. The pale pink mermaid skirt meets a diagonally, delightful burst of black lace at the bodice. The slightly alternative neckline – described most appropriately as an unfinished one-shoulder – is all this simple gown needs to capture the awe of photographers.  

Gail Mancuso, the second woman ever to win this award, won “Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series” for her work on Modern Family, “Arrested” (ABC). Her classic black dress is made noteworthy by its alluring mesh, cutout neckline. It just goes to show that simple can be memorable too.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (my personal hero for her work in The New Adventures in Old Christine) won “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy” for her portrayal of Selina Meyer in Veep (HBO). Usually, an all over glitz gown teeters on the dangerous line between elegant and flashy. A close look at Louis-Dreyfus’s spectacular gown reveals intricate beading, resulting in a consistent sparkle from neckline to hemline. The simple lines of the dress allow the detail and Louis-Dreyfus to effortlessly shine.

Tina Fey and Tracey Wigfield took home “Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series” for the episode “Last Lunch” of 30 Rock (NBC). Now these are dresses I wish I could have worn to my high school proms! Wigfield wins with a shimmery brustroke print, flowing gown. Like the gown Louis-Dreyfus wore, Wigfield’s dress makes a bold statement with simplicity.  Fey’s Royal blue, curve-hugging gown achieves the perfect balance of sexy and sophisticated. Subtle details below the bustline allow the dress’s color to shine, as well as Fey and her admirable wit.

Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.