etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

18 Thoughts Everyone Has While Watching “House Hunters”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s face it: House Hunters is the Olive Garden of cable television. It’s predictable. It’s fairly basic. And yet, you find yourself turning to it time after time because it never disappoints. 

Typically overshadowed by it’s more fabulous sibling, House Hunters: International, House Hunters typically follows a young couple as they embark on the adventure that is home ownership. After a realtor is verbally abused for a half hour  tasked with showing the couple three homes, the duo decides on one of the homes and makes an offer.

As the Say Yes to the Dress of HGTV, customers definitely tend to lean toward the dramatic, and the messy bits breed excellent entertainment. So, here are the eighteen thoughts every viewer has while watching an episode of House Hunters.

1. Wait is this House Hunters: International? I really hope it is! Maybe they are moving somewhere exotic, like Bali! Or somewhere with loads of history, like Glasgow!

2. Oh, it takes place in Tuscon. Close enough.

3. Okay this couple seems decent! Normal even! I would totally accept brunch invites from them.

4. The woman has ‘a guest house for her Pomeranian’ as the number one item on her wish list. Abort mission.

5. Of course they want a move-in ready, open floor plan home within a five minute radius from work. I would be more surprised to hear that the Dalai Lama wants world peace.

6. I’m almost 100% certain I saw these two on a previous episode. Does HGTV recycle infomercial actors in the hope that we won’t recognize them?

7. The first home is never the one they choose. That would be like Stabler and Benson discovering who did it in the first five minutes of an SVU episode.

8. Earth to Sharon, wallpaper is not permanent.

9. You would think these people were being paid a bonus every time they mentioned granite countertops.

10. I want Jerry to stop talking about his “man cave goals” more than I want Netflix not to go through with their price increases.

11. Wow, these two must simply adore entertaining. They only bring it up in every room they enter.

12. I’m really glad that I know what crown molding is now. I feel very informed and #adult.

13. This couple has a lot of deal breakers. My only major deal breaker is whether or not there will be food when I go to social functions.

14. “I just came here to have a good time and I honestly feel so attacked right now” – The realtor

15. Carrie and Big visited thirty-four apartments in the first Sex and the City movie before deciding on one. How am I supposed to believe that these people found the perfect home in a single outing?

16. If they chose the only house that was out of budget, why did they spend the entire episode obsessed with the budget?

17. The “two months later” portion of this program is the best part. The yet to be unpacked boxes in the background of the shot really resonate with my procrastination.

18. I definitely need to watch another episode. 

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Lydia Costello is a freshman at ND studying English and Film, Television, Theater with a concentration in film. She hails from the sprawling metropolis of Chesterton, Indiana (although she might tell you Chicago in an effort to sound more interesting), but is a proud Lyons lady while at home under the dome. When she's not blogging, writing for HCND, or being a pun master extraordinaire, Lydia can be found live tweeting awards shows and episodes of Downton Abbey over at @lydia_costelllo, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, asking to pet other people's dogs, and lying to herself about making Pinterest recipes. She's always up for a good cup of coffee and good conversation (if lost, please return to Starbucks). Keep calm and Go Irish!