10 Things We Do Exactly Like the ND Squirrels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Here at Notre Dame, students have a special friendship, a bond of sorts, with the campus squirrels. Being deprived of having pets in the dorms, naturally we have to find something furry and, somewhat, cute to obsess over. And what could be better than a fat fuzzball with a Swiffer for a tail and paws the size of our pinkies to serve as our surrogate pets? 

Surprisingly, we students have a lot in common with the squirrels. Regardless of whether the squirrels are copying us or vice versa,  some of the similarities are undeniable. For example…

1. We’re always up for some free food, even if we politely decline at first to try not to seem desperate. 

2. The typical stance when someone knocks at the dorm room door. “Who is it? The UPS guy with a care package for me? Oh, it’s just you. Sure, come in!”

3.  We may blend in from afar (long coats and boots all winter long),

look innocent from mid-distance,

but when you really look close, we may be a little frightening!

4.  We’ll wait stealthily by the door to our dorm, until someone with a key will let us in. (Unsure whether this strategy has ever worked for the squirrel, though)

5. We’ll pose for people when they’re trying to snap pictures of us, no matter how unflattering and bloated we feel.

6. We take advantage of nice places to lounge. Although, squirrels have a totally different idea of comfortable!

7. Like squirrels, we’re very agile and strong creatures. Casually running around the trunks of trees or the lakes, it’s all the same. 

8. We get overly excited at the sight of boots. Cowboy, fashion, short, tall, duck, or furry, we’re all about them! And, so are the squirrels.

9. We’ll run across God Quad, if we’re in a rush to get somewhere. Wait, no we won’t! Squirrel, you’ve got it wrong!

10. Last but not least, we value the dignity of every squirrel, just as they value every opportunity to get food us. Domers, don’t just walk by and act like a hungry squirrel is invisible. Be good Samaritans; feed the hungry squirrels! Below is one of many examples of how recognizing the needs of a squirrel can truly make that squirrel’s day.

Never forget to thank the squirrels for all the lovely performances they provide for us. They are members of our campus community, just as much as we are. Celebrate their uniqueness (and similarities to us) especially next January 21, National Squirrel Appreciation Day.

I rest my case, the Fighting Irish are one with the squirrels. If you just can’t get enough of their cuteness, check them out on facebook. I’m sure they’d appreciate it!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

All images provided by author except the last

An avid writer since I learned to form complete sentences, I write off the cuff to entertain, to humor, and to inspire. As a freshman on the Notre Dame campus, I'm here to offer a fresh (no pun intended) perspective on college life and provide prevalent information on how to get into the collegiate scene.