10 Stages of Christmas Shopping at the Bookstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The air is getting colder, the days are getting shorter, and Christmas is getting closer. Between making study guides, finishing final projects, and writing term papers, you finally decide you need to take a study break. The best study breaks are productive ones, so you decide to knock some of your Christmas shopping out of the way in the best way you know how – at the Notre Dame bookstore!

Everyone loves getting ND gear in their stockings – right? Grab your wallet, pull on your boots, and head over to the bookstore to check some things off your list.

1. Excitement

Look at you – so productive and giving. Thank goodness for the bookstore for providing you with a one-stop-shop to get all of your holiday gifts at. You can’t wait to see what new stuff they’ve got in stock for the holiday season. The possibilities are endless – a baseball cap for your brother or a spirited sweater for your mom? You know you’ll find something for everyone on your list.

2. “Einstein’s smells so good…maybe I should get a bagel.”

Food = fuel, and you need fuel to shop, right? You wouldn’t want to get exhausted while picking out the best gifts for friends and family, so it only makes sense to get a bagel. And you can’t forget a cup of coffee to wash it down. You need as much energy as possible to tackle a task like this.

3. CHRISTMAS APPAREL!

I’m a sucker for a cheesy Notre Dame ugly Christmas sweater, and with so many options in the bookstore right now, it’s hard to keep yourself from stopping and checking them all out. They also sell Christmas patterned socks, hats, and spirit jerseys, so you and your loved ones can be extra festive this holiday season.

4. “Okay, let’s get down to business.”

Your sister would love a spirit jersey, that “Notre Dame Mom” mug is perfect for your mom, your dad would look dapper in an Under Armour ND polo, and your best friend from high school needs to represent your school with an ND t-shirt. Once you’re in the shopping groove, nothing can stop you.

5. “Wait…what about -insert name here-?”

But what about your next-door neighbor and your roommate? Or your grandparents? Is it rude if you don’t get your RA a little something, too?

6. “While I’m here, I might as well get myself a little something too…”

Finals week is hard, and you definitely deserve a little pick-me-up from hours spent in the library. Plus, you would rock that ND gear. Treat yo’self.

7. “This is is how much!?

You forget to check the price tags until halfway through your shopping trip. How in the world can an oversized t-shirt be $60? You pause to reevaluate your life choices and mentally chastise yourself for spending all your extra money on Chipotle and cab fares.

8. Rising Panic

As you wander through countless aisles of Notre Dame branded products, your resolve begins to falter a little. You want to get something for everyone you love, but things add up in the bookstore. You stand in the aisles for ten minutes debating who to cut from your gift-giving list.

9. Acceptance

You slowly begin to realize your bank account is not infinite, even though you did your best to scope out the sale sections. Your friend down the hall is just going to have to deal with a bag of candy from the candy wall. It’s the thought that counts.

10. The sweet smell of success

You walk out of the bookstore, bags in hand, and smile wide. You have just accomplished a huge feat, and the feeling of triumph will make you feel better about sitting in artificial light for the foreseeable future studying for exams. What was supposed to be a small errand turned into an hour-long ordeal, but seeing everyone’s faces when they open their gifts will make it all worth it.

Now let’s just hope you didn’t forget anyone.

Happy shopping and Merry Christmas, collegiettes!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love! 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!