This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As we all probably know by now, washing our hands is one of the most important things we can do to stay healthy during this time of the Coronavirus. Washing your hands for 20 seconds can help protect against COVID-19, as recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Most professionals have suggested singing the “Happy Birthday” song twice in order to time out 20 seconds of hand washing. However, with the amount of times that I have been washing my hands everyday, the “Happy Birthday” song has run its course. Here are 10 song choruses that you probably already know that you can sing to spice up your 20-second-long hand washing.

“Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

The truth about the Coronavirus may hurt a little, but singing or humming this song by Lizzo will help to remind us all that we are still bad b**ches. 

Begin singing with lyrics “Why men great ’til they gotta be great?” and end with “Bom bom bi dom bi dum bum bay.”

“No Scrubs” by TLC

A scrub is a guy who doesn’t practice social distancing…at least that’s what I would assume TLC meant in their hit song. So ladies, tell those scrubs to stay inside. 

Begin singing with lyrics “No, I don’t want no scrub” and end with “Trying to holla at me.”

“Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond

Hands definitely should not be “reaching out, touching me, touching you” during this time. Six feet apart people! However, you can reach out to touch your own hands to keep scrubbing them together; same thing right? 

Begin singing with lyrics “Sweet Caroline” (add in the bum bum bum if you so desire) and end with “But now I.”

“Oops!…I Did It Again” by Britney Spears

“Oops!…I did it again” is exactly what I think to myself when I accidentally touch my face. Luckily this early 2000s bop has you covered for 20 seconds of washing your hands.

Begin singing with lyrics “Oops, I did it again” and end with “I’m not that innocent.”

“Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

If you’re feeling nostalgic for your college party memories, “Mr. Brightside” will bring them all back, guaranteed. Just imagine that you’re jumping around in a sweaty mosh-pit instead of in your kitchen wearing the same sweats for the fifth straight day.

Begin singing with lyrics “Jealousy, turning saints into the sea” and end with “’Cause I’m Mr. Brightside.”

“Party In The U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus

“Party in the U.S.A.?” More like a handwashing party in my house! Jam out to this classic Miley song and relive the Hannah Montana glory days while cleaning those hands!

Begin singing with lyrics “So I put my hands up” and end with “Yeaaaah it’s a party in the U.S.A.”

“Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations

We all need a little bit of building up right now, and The Foundations are here to help with their hit song. You can’t help but smile when you hear “Build Me Up Buttercup,” and don’t hesitate to be your own backup singer too!

Begin singing with lyrics “Why do you build me up” and end with “buttercup, don’t break my heart.”

“Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver

Our homes are the only places we belong right now, so don’t get any ideas about a trip to West Virginia. 

Begin singing with lyrics “Country roads, take me home” and end with “Take me home, country roads.”

“Love On Top” by Beyoncé

Let the queen guide you through your 20 seconds of scrubbing with this pop masterpiece. Show off your vocal range or just hum to yourself!

Begin with lyrics “Baby it’s you” and end with “Finally you put my love on top.”

“I Want It That Way” by Backstreet Boys

“Tell me why” people don’t stay inside and practice social distancing! This legendary boy band empathizes with our confusion during quarantine through their lyrics. 

Begin with lyrics “Tell me why” and end with “I want it that way.”

Hopefully these 10 songs will inspire you to spend your 20 seconds of handwashing singing a song other than “Happy Birthday.” Remember, fronts and backs, between the fingers and even under your nails. We’re all in this together!

Sarah Duarte

Notre Dame '22

Hey I’m Sarah Duarte! I am majoring in History with minors in Digital Marketing and Constitutional Studies at the University of Notre Dame. I’m also a Zumba instructor and am from Southern California.