10 Romantic Movies to Kick-Start Your Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays; love is in the air, and those tiny, chalky conversation heart candies become socially acceptable again. My yearly movie marathon is one of my favorite traditions, and, this year, I’m getting a jumpstart on my planning and sharing some of my favorite romantic movies. So, whether you’re cozying up with your significant other or enjoying some down time with your gal pals, check out my ten Valentine’s Day picks for every movie-watching mood!

Leap Year (2010)

Disappointed by her boyfriend’s lack of commitment, Anna (Amy Adams) decides to follow her doctor beau to Dublin with the intention of proposing to him on Leap Day. This movie’s the perfect pick for any lover of travel (or just beautiful scenery)!

One Day (2011)

On the evening of their college graduation, Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) meet and forge a lifelong will-they-or-won’t-they relationship. One Day follows the pair as they reunite on their anniversary over the course of twenty years. One Day’s a great choice for those who loves movies adapted from books!

Notting Hill (1999)

An absolute classic, Notting Hill tells the boy meets (incredibly famous) girl story by way of two incredible actors: Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. An absolute must for this Valentine’s Day (or any day, let’s be honest)!

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

One of the more eccentric rom-coms of recent years, (500) Days of Summer features greeting card writer Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) as he non-linearly retells the story of his 500 day relationship with Summer (Zooey Deschanel). (500) Days is definitely for you if you’re in for something a bit more out of the ordinary.

Naomi and Ely’s No Kiss List (2015)

The perfect pick for a V-day get together with friends! Best buds Naomi (Victoria Justice) and Ely (Pierson Fode) are challenged when they fall for the same guy during their freshman year at NYU.  Victoria Justice will be giving you some *serious*  Zoey 101 flashbacks.

About Time (2013)

From the creator of Love Actually, About Time features Tim (Domhall Gleeson), who makes a shocking discovery on his 21st birthday: that he can travel through time, a secret that he uses to perfect his romance with Mary (Rachel McAdams).  About Time‘s a great pick for Rachel McAdams fans who don’t want to repeat The Notebook this V-Day.

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)

My rom-com hero, Bridget Jones (Renée Zellweger) spends her New Years resolving to keep a no-holds barred, provocative journal about her love life, detailing in particular her hilarious and dysfunctional relationships with Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) and Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant).  Watch now in preparation for the third installment of the series, which is being released this September!

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

When twelve-year-olds Sam (Jared Gillman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) fall in love and decide to run away on a small island in New England, a storm derails all attempts for their rescue. An aesthetic dream, Moonrise Kingdom is courtesy of Grand Budapest Hotel director, Wes Anderson!

The Prince & Me (2004)

When Paige (Julia Stiles), a driven premed student at Wisconsin-Madison, falls for exchange student Eddie (Luke Malby), she is completely unaware of the fact that he is the heir to the Danish throne. It’s Will & Kate set in the Midwest, and its sappiness could not possibly be better!

Casablanca (1942)

One of the most iconic romances of all time, Casablanca tells the story of an American nightclub owner in Casablanca, Morocco (Humphrey Bogart) who is reunited with his former lover (Ingrid Bergman), as she is attempting to flee to the Western Hemisphere during the height of World War II. For anyone who loves classic movies or period pieces, here’s looking at you!

There ya have it – happy watching!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Lydia Costello is a freshman at ND studying English and Film, Television, Theater with a concentration in film. She hails from the sprawling metropolis of Chesterton, Indiana (although she might tell you Chicago in an effort to sound more interesting), but is a proud Lyons lady while at home under the dome. When she's not blogging, writing for HCND, or being a pun master extraordinaire, Lydia can be found live tweeting awards shows and episodes of Downton Abbey over at @lydia_costelllo, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, asking to pet other people's dogs, and lying to herself about making Pinterest recipes. She's always up for a good cup of coffee and good conversation (if lost, please return to Starbucks). Keep calm and Go Irish!