With the birds chirping and the snow melting and the sun shining (right…one can dream), it is time for the largest extracurricular activity on Notre Dame’s campus.
No, not tostal. No, not even PIG tostal.
It is time…
for BOOKSTORE BASKETBALL.
10 reasons as to why everyone should be super excited for the tournament are as follows:
1. It is THE largest 5-on-5 outdoor basketball tournament in the WORLD.
2. Over 700 teams comprised of students and faculty from ND, SMC, and Holy Cross participate. So that’s 700 of your absolute favorite people on one court. (Just…not at one time)
3. The tournament is ENTIRELY managed and run by students.
4. It feels as though it is never-ending. With breaks for Easter and the Blue-Gold game, it lasts for the entirety of March and most of April. So the fun really never ends!
5. It is played in rain or shine (or snow) which makes for some amazing memories.
6. Women have their own bracket. BOO YAH. (The other is called, “The Open Bracket,” which 700 teams play in, while the Women bracket consists of 45 to 60 teams.)
7. Team names are created by the students themselves. A lot of effort is put into this aspect of the tournament, and many of the names are based on serious or even random events.
8. All of the proceeds of the tournament are donated to the Jumpball Basketball Programme, which is a basketball program for the youth of Jamaica.
9. Teams often dress up in fun and exciting costumes, making it the tournament not only a great time, but a great show!
10. You don’t have to be good at basketball, so there are no expectations for the tournament…why not come out and make a fool of yourself (or dominate on the court) in front of all your fellow basketball players?!
Hannah Drinkall is a Saint Mary’s College contributor to Her Campus Notre Dame.