Your Trader Joe’s Obsession Runs Deeper than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Cooking is hard, but Trader Joe’s makes it simple. Perhaps that’s why it was so easy for me to fall in love with the grocery store at first sight. The beautiful array of affordable produce, the glistening freezers with ready-made meals, allowing me, a busy college student, to save time and money. Yes, my relationship with Trader Joe’s is a modern-day millennial love story!

Walking in to Trader Joe’s in my sweatshirt and Ugg boots is like walking into heaven. The wholesome feel, the kind workers, the healthy products makes it obvious why I could love a place so much. What I didn’t know was that Trader Joe’s planned our romance before I even walked in. The shop’s smart marketing tactics, innovative store design, and friendly staff make it appealing to everyone from college students to working moms. I stumbled upon a video by Business Insider that explained my Trader Joe’s obsession. Allow me to break it down:

Simplicity

Trader Joe’s keeps it simple, which is part of its charm. There is a unique, but not large selection of Trader Joe’s brand products. It is all about quality over quantity.

Customer Service

The “crew members” feel like old friends even though you’ve never met. Somehow they know exactly what you should get for dinner before you do. Going to the register is not awkward, but enjoyable.

Frozen Section

The open freezer section makes it easy for customers to leisurely pick up ready-made frozen meals. These meals taste fresh and are mostly healthy.

Unique Products

Trader Joe’s unique label is colorful and quirky. The hand drawn aesthetic on its products allows customers to feel connected.

Maybe I feel slightly manipulated, but my love for Trader Joe’s still grows strong. I won’t stop stocking up on cauliflower gnocchi and zucchini noodles like the apocalypse is coming. I won’t stop having small talk with the floral shirt-wearing cashiers. I won’t stop begging my roommate with a car to drive me to Trader Joe’s every Sunday morning. Because Trader Joe’s understands its customers, and I know my love story is going to have a happy ending.

Emily Chaiet

Northwestern '20

Emily Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida studying journalism at Northwestern University. She is also pursuing a minor in sociology and a certificate in integrated marketing communications. In her free time she likes to rewatch the Office on Netflix and go to CycleBar.