Your October Guide to December 25th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Once Halloween ends that means only one thing: Christmas! Honestly, the whole year is one long countdown to the jolliest day of the year. At the end of October, Santa fever hits hard. Here are ways to fulfill your Yuletide yearnings and make October and November feel just like Christmas!

1.     Hot Chocolate and Winter Jackets

First, throw on your puffy winter jacket, Northwestern ski hat, mittens and scarf. Next, head on down to Starbucks on Sherman. Order a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. While you wait for your drink, turn on Michael Bublé’s holiday album. Sip your chocolate beverage and listen to the words of Bublé with a smile. Ignore the haters.

2.    World Market Mania 

World Market contains dozens of aisles dedicated to ornaments, food and decorations. Grab a friend (or a victim) and take stroll through the rows of merchandise. Maybe buy two advent calendars, one for November and one December. Consider buying some peppermint bark to help you through finals season. Just please don’t stay until closing and get locked inside.

3.     Be European with Waffles

Christmas markets throughout Europe are known for their crepes and waffles. Plus, nothing feels more like the holidays then waking up to a warm pastry. Don’t fly to Germany for a waffle fix. Instead, stop by Delbe’s corner and order a liége waffle. They are dense, sweet and bursting with sugar crystals. Your waffle can be topped with whipped cream, nutella, fudge and bananas. Waffles can do no wrong.

4.     Christmas Netflix and Chill

As it gets colder, who wants to go outside anyways? Have a roommate date with your favorite holiday films. Light a pine-scented candle, eat some gingerbread cookies and curl up under a warm blanket. Netflix is a treasure trove of Christmas films from “Home Alone” to “A Nightmare Before Christmas.” The choices are endless!

5.     Centennial Ice Rink

Sadly, the Norris ice rink does not open for another month or two. Do not fret. Instead go with a group of friends to the ice rink in Wilmette. It is only a 15 minutes drive to an icy winter wonderland. Also, Centennial Ice Rink is usually filled with little children. So, you can skate with your friends and watch all the adorable kids! Just don’t be creepy..