Your New Best Friend: The Monthly Subscription Box

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

One of my favorite gifts I received this Christmas was a yearly subscription to Birchbox. Each month, I receive an adorable little box filled with five beauty samples. The samples include skin care, makeup and hair care products that are customized to fit a personal beauty survey I filled out online. If you’re obsessed with a product (like I was with my shea almond body butter), you can order the full size online. How’s that for a smart business plan?

Getting a brightly colored box every month is such a treat. I’m so hooked on this subscription box trend that I decided to look into it a little more. It turns out that Birchbox was the pioneer of this trend when it launched its service back in 2010. The company now has 800,000 active subscribers all over the world, according to Forbes. Just five years later, the subscription box industry has exploded. Now, there are boxes with almost any kind of product you could imagine.

This new retail trend is not only successful, but it’s fun. As a subscriber you can pamper yourself with a monthly surprise. Or, as a gift-giver, you can find the perfect customized treat for your friend, family member or significant other. Here are some of my favorite picks for subscription boxes for any mood you’re in (or any gift you need to buy!):

1. Feeling Pretty

Glossybox, $21/month

Birchbox isn’t the only beauty box out there! For those of you luxury beauty queens, Glossybox includes five beauty products from high-end brands. Products from brands like NARS and Burberry Beauty come in a chic, reusable box. Hello Gorgeous!

2. Feeling Hungry

Blue Apron, $59.94/week for a 2 person plan

Living off-campus? Need some motivation to make something other than easy-mac? Blue Apron sends you all the fresh ingredients and recipes you need to make three meals each week.  YUM.

3. Feeling Healthy

Nature Box, $19.99/month + a free box trial

A variety of healthy snacks, delivered right to your door! Try five new snacks each month with plenty of dairy-free, vegan and gluten-free options!

4. Feeling Fancy

Tasting Room by Lot 18, $24.95 for a wine tasting kit +profile;  $84.49 for 12 bottles every quarter

What college student isn’t a little bit of a wine-o. This is the perfect gift for your friend’s 21st or the perfect investment for your new apartment. The quarterly subscription gives you 12 bottles every 3 months for $84.49 which works out to about $7/bottle. This could give the two-buck-chuck a run for its money.

5. Feeling Manly

Loot Crate;  $19.95/month

Need a gift for your guy, brother, or friend? There are tons of male subscription box options. Loot Crate is the monthly subscription box for “geeks and gamers.” Hello Northwestern boys.

Need a box for something not on this list? Mysupscriptionaddiction.com has tons of recommendations and reviews for boxes in every category.