This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Photo Credit: Northwestern Study Abroad

If you’re like me, you went home over winter break and were like “Oh I’m going to have SO much time, I’m going to get my study abroad application out of the way early so I won’t have to worry about it during winter quarter!” Spoiler Alert: that never happened. I think the cumulative amount of time I spent on Netflix this break would have been more than enough to complete my applications, but hey, even Northwestern students deserve some time to relax.

As I expected, the deadline for my program, which is a Fall program, snuck up WAY quicker than I expected. If you’re in the same boat, don’t worry! There’s still enough time before Feburary 10th (the final deadline for fall and full year 2014-2015 programs)! HC Northwestern has a solution for you.

Check out our easy checklist so you can see exactly what you have to do to guarantee that next year you finally get that life-changing study abroad experience that all those newly returned juniors won’t shut up about!

Pick Your Program/ Meet with an Advisor

First things first. Browse the Study Abroad Website to look at all the programs Northwestern (and some other schools we have affiliated programs with) offers and see which one is right for you. Once you think you’ve narrowed it down to a few choices, be sure to visit the Study Abroad Office to meet with an advisor. They have country-specific advisors on staff so they are really familiar with the programs. Before you start an application, they will help you find what you really want out of the experience and decide where to go from there. And if online searching for the programs isn’t for you, they have tons of pretty brochures to look through (and obsess over) to help make up your mind. You can call 847-467-6400 to set up an appointment or visit during the office’s walk in hours, which are different depending on the time of year. You can find them here: http://www.northwestern.edu/studyabroad/about-us/contact-us.html

Check out the Application and DEADLINE

Before you commit to applying for a program, check out the application. Some programs, like mine have two applications because they are not directly a Northwestern program. Each study abroad trip will at least have a Northwestern Application which can be found here: https://northwestern-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?au=&ck=

See if the application is something you’ll be able to fill out and MOST IMPORTANTLY check those deadlines! 

Actually don’t worry, we’ll save you the trouble. These are for the Northwestern Applications (If your trip has two applications, the other application likely has a different deadline):

• February 10 is the Final deadline for  all Fall 2014 and Full Year 2014-15 for all programs that WERE NOT already due on Jan 15.
  • March 1 is the Final deadline for all Summer 2014 programs
  • June 1 is the Final deadline for all Winter/Spring 2015 programs
  • November 1 is the Final deadline for all IPD Spring 2015 programs

Set up Your Appointments

Once you look through the Northwestern application you’ll see that you need approval from a few different people before your application can be submitted. BE SURE to schedule these appointments ASAP if you haven’t already. Everyone is having the same idea right now, so these advisors may get busy and maybe even hate you a little. You’ll need to meet with your department advisor for your major and also a representative from your school. Your major advisor will sign a form approving any credits you may want to transfer for you major and your school advisor will make sure this experience will not set you off track for graduation. Be sure to read the instructions carefully on the application. If you do not meet with these advisors, YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT GO THROUGH. And sorry, you can’t just meet with someone at 3 a.m. the day before something is due.

Decide if this is POSSIBLE

Study abroad is an amazing experience, but unfortunately it’s not possible for everyone. Especially if you are in McCormick or Medill, make sure you think realistically if this is possible for you to fit in before you graduate. Remember, if you’re in one of these schools and study abroad doesn’t work, you will have the opportunity to go on Co-Op or JR, which is another amazing experience outside of Northwestern. Also, make sure this is financially feasible for you and your family. Financial Aid is available for study abroad as well, just make sure you are on top of filling out those forms early. You wouldn’t want to get attached to a place, fill out the application, and realize too late that you can’t go.

Request Your Recommendations

This step is really important to do EARLY. You’ll need at least one recommendation for you the Northwestern application and maybe more depending on if your program has another application. Make sure you pick someone who is reliable and who actually knows you. It doesn’t have to be a current professor, just make sure you chose someone who will be excited to brag about you. Giving your professors ample time to complete these requests is common courtesy and it’ll probably make them more likely to write them well.

Set up an Interview

Some programs have an interview requirement in the target language of the country you are going to. If this applies to you, make sure you set this up early. These appointments will fill up fast.

Write your Supplement(s)

After you’ve set up all your appointments, get working on that application! Start out with the tasks that will take more time, like the Northwestern personal statement or maybe some lengthier writing prompts that could be on an additional application (if applicable to your program). Take your time on these, they are the only part that will show your personality of this application. And it’s really not too hard, I promise. The Northwestern application just has one 750-word prompt. JUST ONE?! I know, unreal for an application.

Fill Out the Easy Stuff

Take a break from the writing supplements by rewarding yourself with filling out the quick and easy bits of the application. Name, address, emergency contact, blah blah blah. Just make sure you don’t skip any of this. You may need to call your parents to check some things, like your passport number. This may seem like something you can do super quick the night before but make sure you give it a quick glance over at least once before the deadline to make sure you have everything you need.

Preliminary Course of Study

You will also need to fill out a preliminary course of study on your application. This part is fun. You’ll get to look at the classes your program offers and see what you’ll be doing next year.

Review and Submit

YAYYYY you’re done! Make sure you take one quick glance over everything you’ve done so far and when you’re ready, hit submit! Make sure to fill out any additional application by the necessary deadline as well.

GET EXCITED

Study abroad admission isn’t nearly as brutal college application process. Most people will get a program they are happy with as long as you are responsible and timely. When you find out your destination, GET PUMPED. Set your background as the beautiful scenery you’ll be calling home pretty soon. You’re about to one of the best experiences of your life!