This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

We are approaching the biggest Sunday in sports. That’s right, the Kansas City Chiefs will face off against the San Francisco 49ers in Miami for Super Bowl LIV. Before you sit down to watch these two teams butt heads, there are important things to know about this matchup and this weekend in Evanston. Whether you are watching the game with friends, going out or just tuning in for the halftime show, this event is sure to be jam-packed with sports and entertainment. Yes, there is more to this weekend than wings, beer and commercials. 

Here is everything you need to know to impress your football fanatic friends on Sunday:

The game breakdown:

Kansas City is entering this weekend 12-4 on the season with two comeback victories in the playoffs. They are coached by Andy Reid and led by quarterback Patrick Mahomes (yes, the QB with the Tik Tok brother). The Chiefs have not been to the Super Bowl since 1970!

When you think about the Chiefs, you automatically have to think about their powerhouse offense led by Mahomes, who is not only skilled at passing the ball but also the leading postseason rusher for Kansas City. Alongside Mahomes, the Chiefs’ offense is filled by tight end Travil Kelce, wide receiver Tyreek Hill and running back Damien Williams, who have all racked up major stats this season.

San Francisco has a 13-3 record heading into this weekend and is ranked No. 1 in the league. They are coached by 40-year-old Kyle Shanahan and led by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers are no strangers to the Super Bowl, as they have appeared in six Super Bowls in the team’s history, but they haven’t taken home a championship ring since 1994!

Although the 49ers excel at running the ball and led the NFL in postseason rushing yards, they are more well known for their defense. San Francisco relies heavily on their defensive linemen, especially Dee Ford, Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas, who hold down the best line in the league.

The Super Bowl will be played on Sunday, February 2, at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. Kickoff is set for 5:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcasted on FOX.  

Where to cheer:

In Evanston…

• Nothing hits better than a good wings platter while watching football, and Buffalo Joe’s is hands down the best places to order from this Sunday. Located on Clark Street, Buffalo Joe’s is slammed on Super Bowl weekend, so in order to enjoy their delicious wings you will most likely have to order in advance. You can order here!

• Whiskey Thief Tavern on Davis street is hosting a watch party with team themed drinks, half off nachos and a halftime giveaway. The event is free but you can register here!

• Bar Louie on Sherman Avenue is hosting a viewing party starting at 4:30 p.m. with special “Touchdown deals.”

• Bat 17 in Evanston has a great ambiance to watch the big game with multiple flat screen TVs, specialty sandwiches burgers and beer on tap.

• Norris Student Center will be broadcasting the game on their main TV if you are looking for a way to study while watching!

In Chicago…

• OGs Chicago is hosting a Super Bowl Watch Party with all you can eat and drink for $40. More info and tickets can be found here. Also, if you want to get your celebration started early, OGs is hosting a Puppy Bowl Party at 11 a.m..

• The Trophy Room is offering special drink deals, Super Bowl appetizer platters and a free drink ticket at their watch party. Tickets start at $15 and can be purchased here.

• Moe’s Cantina River North is hosting a Super Bowl Viewing Party kicking off at 3 p.m. with DJ Vince Adams. This event is free, but you can register here!

• Liqrbox is broadcasting the game with special 3 hour drink wristbands and food package deals exclusively for gameday. Ticket prices vary and can be purchased here.

• McGee’s Tavern and Grille is showing the game with a four hour food and drinks package that includes a food buffet for $25. They will also have special prizes and games based on the game’s score.

• If you are looking for an interesting way to watch the game, 360 Chicago is hosting a viewing party on top of the Hancock building in downtown Chicago. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased here.

Fun Super Bowl LIV Tidbits:

• Girl Power: 49ers’ Offensive Assistant Coach Katie Sowers will make history on Sunday when she becomes the first female and openly LGTBQ coach at the Super Bowl. This badass coach is in her fourth season with the NFL and has been credited for fostering Niners wide receiver Kendrick Bourne’s talent. You can catch her inspiring story in this Microsoft Super Bowl Commercial.

• ‘Cats Connection: Former Northwestern quarterback and graduate assistant coach Mike Kafka will be on the Chief’s sideline Sunday. Kafka is the Kansas City quarterback coach and will be entering his first Super Bowl this weekend. As a player at NU, Kafka set single-game records in both passing and rushing yards as a quarterback.

• Fresh QBs: Both Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes and San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo will be taking their first Super Bowl snaps on Sunday. 24-year-old Mahomes hails from Texas Tech and is in his third season in the NFL – second as the Chief’s starting quarterback. 28-year-old Garoppolo is a more seasoned player in his sixth year in the NFL after finishing his college career at Eastern Illinois University. Although he has never taken a Super Bowl snap, Garoppolo is no stranger to the big stage. The veteran watched the New England Patriots tackle the Super Bowl three times during his time with New England, including earning two Championship rings.

• Halftime Hopes: If football isn’t really your thing, it is worth turning on the TV at the half when the iconic Jennifer Lopez and Shakira will take the stage. This halftime show is predicted to have an emphasis on Latin culture, zeroing in on issues Hispanics are facing currently in the U.S..

GIFs courtesy of giphy.com

Isabel Gitten

Northwestern '22

Isabel is a sophomore majoring in journalism, minoring in sociology, and pursuing a certificate in integrated marketing and communications. She is from Wayland, Massachusetts and enjoys playing frisbee, volunteering for Camp Kesem and supporting the 'Cats.