This Year’s Oscar Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Photo- oscar.go.com

Best Actress

The Nominees Are:  Naomi Watts “The Impossible”, Jessica Chastain “Zero Dark Thirty”, Jennifer Lawrence “Sliver Linings Playbook”, Quvenzhané Wallis “Beasts of the Southern Wild”, Emmanuelle Riva “Amour”

My Pick: Jennifer Lawrence– Lawrence’s portrayal of a troubled widow in “Silver Linings” proved she really can do it all. Already the star of a blockbuster franchise and previous Oscar nominee, Lawrence continues to hit it out of the park. Her performance was unique and heartfelt, and she made a disturbed character very loveable.

But Don’t Count Out…  Emmanuelle Riva – 85-year-old Riva is the Oscar’s oldest Best Actress nominee. Riva’s beautiful, moving portrayal of a woman disappearing into paralysis and dementia. With her husband by her side,  “Amour” paints a captivating picture of true love even at the end of a life.

Best Actor

The Nominees are: Bradley Cooper “Silver Linings Playbook”, Daniel Day Lewis “Lincoln”, Hugh Jackman “Les Misérables, Joaquin Phoenix “The Master”, Denzel Washington “Flight”

My Pick: Daniel Day Lewis– Let’s face it, most people agree Daniel Day Lewis has this category locked up. Day Lewis is in a league of his own with his mesmerizing portrayal of our 16th president.  If Day Lewis does win big Sunday night, he will be the proud owner of three golden, Best Actor statuettes.

But Don’t Count Out… Hugh Jackman – Jackman gave an amazing performance in “Les Mis”, but unfortunately he just picked the wrong year to give the performance of his life. If the juggernaut Day Lewis was removed from the category, it would be Jackman’s race to win.

Best Picture

The Nominees are: “Life of Pi”, “Lincoln”, “Silver Linings Playbook”, “Zero Dark Thirty”,  “Django Unchained”, “Les Misérables”, “Beasts of the Southern Wild”, “Argo”, “Amour”

My Pick: “Argo”- After snubbing Ben Affleck in the Best Director category, the Academy needs to give “Argo” its due praise. Affleck’s thriller centers around a CIA operative leading the rescue six U.S. diplomats out of Iran during the hostage crisis of 1979. This film grabs hold of you and doesn’t let go until the credits roll, if “Argo” goes home with the gold it’s well deserved.

But Don’t Count Out… “Lincoln ” –  However, Spielberg’s Lincoln is still in this race. With a powerhouse cast and one of the biggest names in Hollywood in the director’s chair, this historical drama is no lightweight. The dramatic depth of “Lincoln” could definitely give “Argo” a run for its money.