Winter Skin and Hair Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As winter finally starts to exert its harsh grasp over Evanston and Northwestern it’s important to remember to love and protect our skin and hair as we scurry from classes and party-hop on the weekends. Here are some easy tips to keep looking fabulous even as you trudge through mountains of snow.

Wear Sunscreen.
 The severe reflection of the sun off of snow or ice can cause serious damage to your skin and make it even more dry and red. Use a moisturizing sunscreen on exposed skin to combat these negative effects.
Moisturize
This applies to both skin and hair. The cold temperatures and other weather changes bring about serious dryness. Combat skin dryness and flakiness with a good moisturizer and lip balm. Fight hair dryness with less shampoo and more conditioner!

Bundle up!
Whip out your adorable hats, mittens, gloves and scarves and cover up your skin. The crazy Chicago wind and weather can really beat up your skin so be sure to show it some love with soft fabrics that block the frigid gusts. Make sure hats fit correctly and are not too tight and are washed regularly. Otherwise your hair could become limp, dry and greasy!
Minimize time spent in wet clothes
If the Chicago-area receives the immense amount of snow it’s predicted to, the only way to happily survive will be to embrace the weather by having many snowball fights, sledding runs, and building lots of snowmen. However, make sure to remove or change wet articles of clothing as soon as possible to avoid skin cracking and itching.
Tame static and flyaways
Winter inevitably brings with it staticky hair. Make a stand against static by spritzing hairspray onto a hairbrush or using a dryer sheet against your hair.

With these tips you can keep your skin glowing and your hair shiny! Without the stress of worrying about dry skin and frizzy hair you’ll be able to enjoy the beauty that Chicago winters have to offer.

Sources:
Webmd.com
Haircareguide.com
Ivillage.co.uk

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.
Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.