Why You Should Be Using Natural Skin Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Your skin is the largest organ of your body (yes, an organ). It is constantly growing and breathing, and while it’s often viewed as a symbol of beauty, it’s also important for maintaining your health. What you put on your skin matters – like any organ, bombarding it with harsh chemicals for your entire life can be detrimental to the health of your skin and entire body because chemicals deplete your skin of its natural protective oils.

Finding natural products for your skin can be tricky and a hit or miss process. Some products smell weird, some don’t seem to work as well as “normal” products, and some may be just too expensive for everyday use. Since I’ve made the switch to caring for my skin naturally, I’ve found these products have worked tremendously well and my skin has never been more clear and soft.

Tea Tree Oil: acne prevention and treatment

Tea tree oil is naturally anti-bacterial and won’t dry out your skin if used sparingly. This has cleared up my skin more so than any anti-acne product I’ve ever tried. When used on your skin, it should be dilluted with a carrier oil such as jojoba, grapeseed, olive, or almond oil. You can find this at Whole Foods or order on Amazon.

Nude Skincare Perfect Cleanse Nourishing Cleansing Oil: facial cleanser

This is an oil cleanser made from 100% natural plant oils that deeply cleanses and removes makeup without stripping away the essential moisture of your skin. Order here.

Coconut oil or avocado oil: moisturizer

There’s nothing more natural than pure coconut oil or avocado oil. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and it’s also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, so it won’t clog your pores as it moisturizes. If you don’t want to smell like a walking coconut, avocado oil has a much milder scent, and some argue that it moisturizers more deeply than coconut oil. You can find both of these at Whole Foods.

Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Day Lotion: face moisturizer

I highly recommend all Burt’s Bees products, and you can conveniently find them in any CVS, but I’ve particilarly used this lotion for years. It moisturizes my face without making it too oily.

Bee silk: thick body lotion

This has been a god-send for me this winter – it’s super thick and luscious and made from sunflower seed oil, soy bean oil, jojoba seed oil, beeswax, chamomile flower, raw honey, and essential oils. My skin feels soft all day. A portion of their products are donated to the Honeybee Research Fund. Order here.

RMS beauty products: makeup

Fun fact: this is the makeup used on J.Crew models, as if you didn’t need another reason to go natural. RMS Beauty has a wide range of products and uses natural ingredients that are certified organic. Order here.