Whitney Houston: Paying Tribute to the Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

One of the greatest voices, icons, and women of the last few decades, Whitney Houston, died this past weekend. It’s impossible to deny Houston’s influence in all corners of the world and so many aspects of media, from music to movies and fashion. I don’t know anyone who didn’t get chills the first time they heard “I Will Always Love You” or “I Have Nothing,” and I don’t have exact numbers, but I’m sure those songs have been covered more in karaoke and on American Idol than most others. Jennifer Hudson offered this great tribute to the stunning Whitney at the Grammy Awards Sunday, and as for me, I’m paying tribute by watching the star do what she did best – sing and perform.
(Click on the images to link to YouTube)

I Will Always Love You (Official Video from movie “The Bodyguard”)

I Have Nothing (Live performance from South Africa, 1994)

I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Official Video)

When You Believe (duet with Mariah Carey from the movie “Prince of Egypt”)

Greatest Love of All (Official Video)

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.