This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Panhellenic recruitnment is coming right around the corner. Every day feels long and exhausting, but it’s so rewarding when the potential new members find what is going to be their home for the rest of their time at Northwestern. It can be a stressful and draining experience and the last thing that you want to be worried about is what outfits you’re going to wear. Take the winter break to plan ahead so you can focus on your conversations.

If you’re unfamiliar with how recruitment works, each day you go to a designated number of chapter houses on campus and talk to a few members of that sorority. The days are divided into sets and you can dress differently for each set. Here is a guide to help you decide what to wear for each of these sets.

Set 1: This is the set when you will be going to every chapter. You haven’t made any cuts yet, so you’ll get a little taste of each place. This set lasts over the span of two days; each day you go to 6 houses. This is likely the easiest day to dress for since you are required to wear your PHA recruitment t-shirt. You’ll want to dress for comfort since you might sit on the floor, so wear some nice dark jeans and some comfortable boots. Since the recruitment shirt is plain, this is a good opportunity to accessorize or wear some clothing that makes a statement. Let your personal style shine through with some patterned pants, fun shoes, or a statement scarf or necklace.

Set 2: The third day of recruitment is the longest. There is a possibility that you will be going to nine houses to hear about their philanthropies so it’s best to wear something you feel relaxed in. The general dress code is similar to Set 1, but you don’t have to wear a recruitment shirt. This day is still pretty casual; feel free to wear dark jeans again. If you want to mix it up, put on a cute skirt with some tights and comfortable boots. It’s good to wear an item that is memorable so that the members can easily remember you.

Set 3: This is one of the most enjoyable days of recruitment, skit day. It’s a chance for you to really get a feel for the personalities at each house. The suggested attire for Set 3 is very similar to Set 2, but I would recommend dressing a little nicer for this set. The next night is Preference Night, the most formal night of recruitment, so you can work your way up to that by dressing in your casual best for Set 3. You might need to sit on the floor at some houses to watch their skit, so make sure your outfit is comfortable and modest enough to allow for this.

Preference Night: The final night of recruitment, preference night, is a time for you to pull out your best cocktail dress and heels. Everyone is dressed to the nines, enjoying every minute of the night. You can relax once you’ve made it this far. You’re guaranteed a bid if you maximize your options. This is the night when you realize where you belong. While most potential new members wear black dresses, that is not a requirement. In fact, you might stick out more if you decide to wear a color. The biggest fashion tip that I have for preference isn’t what you wear outside of the house, however. It can get really cold waiting outside each house and often times a dress, heels and a puffy coat isn’t going to cut it. I recommend bringing a bag with sweatpants, a zip-up sweatshirt (so you don’t have to ruin your hair), a blanket and some Uggs to wear when you’re walking from house to house. You’ll be glad you came prepared, trust me.

Kristin Mathuny

Northwestern

Northwestern sophomore; journalism major, integrated marketing certificate, sociology minor.