This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Most kids have a staple movie they were exposed to growing up. While I was obsessed with “Beauty and the Beast” and stage-to-screen versions of Broadway musicals, like “Grease” and “West Side Story,” my main movie was “Star Wars.” There is no defining moment when it came into my life; I don’t have any recollection of when I first saw it nor do I remember any first impressions. It is just there, like the memories of a family member or how I learned to talk.

This is the original trilogy I am speaking of though. My mom has a gold box set of Episodes IV-VI (unfortunately not the despecialized ones, but the 1993 version). Unlike a lot of fans, I actually enjoyed the newer trilogy as well. It was a big deal and my parents took me to the opening day showing of two of them.

I grew up with Star Wars shirts, dolls and books. None of my friends growing up were as into the franchise as I was, especially at such a young age. Every summer and winter breaks my family has “Star Wars” marathons. I can quote the movies, I know the backstory behind most characters and I know a lot of the theories and production tidbits that went into creating this world. But what does it all mean? (*might be spoilers for those unfamliar with the series).

It means that unlike some, I grew up with the wise words of Ben Kenobi.

I learned to idolize Yoda like he was my own Jedi master.

It means that I had a huge crush on Anakin Skywalker.

But thanks to watching the saga in the proper order, I knew he was destined for evil.

I learned how to be a kickass female thanks to Leia, and later Padmé.

They showed me that if you want something done, there is no need to wait around for someone else to do it. Padmé led her squad into combat in her palace on Naboo in “The Phantom Menace.” Leia stole the blueprints for the Death Star and consistently holds her own throughout the movies.

It taught me that even the bravest and kindest soldiers can turn to the Dark Side

But that it is never too late for redemption.

I learned that you should never kiss a random guy you kind of just met, especially if you are adopted and don’t know your lineage.

It taught me that no matter how young you are, if you are a good pilot, you can destroy a huge space station. 

I learned that even after years, I am still as psyched to see a new movie as I was when I was almost 4 in 1999.  Even more so, if possible.

I learned that I deal in absolutes (thanks to my sister for pointing that out).

The Jedi showed me sacrifice and the love between friends.

But not romantic love, that was forbidden for them.

But most of all, “Star Wars” taught me to be myself. The movies focus on a group of people who are different, with special powers. Most choose to harness that for the greater good and they don’t hide behind the force and many midi-chlorians. They take on life and their missions full on, even at the expense of their life.

I am so proud of my “Star Wars” history and connection and I am beyond excited to see what the next trilogy will teach me and show me about my beloved galaxy far, far away.

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!