Watching The Notebook in 2019

When I was younger, The Notebook was one of my favorite romances. Who could forget Noah and Allie’s kiss in the rain? (He wrote her 365 letters! One for every day of the year!) Of course, Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams’s chemistry only added to the ideal love story. I hadn’t seen the 2000s classic since I was probably 15 years old, but a couple of weeks ago, one of my roommates decided to watch the film. Yet, now being a 20-year-old woman in 2019, my reactions were pretty different than when I was an innocent high school teen:

Alright, we’re starting with the classic Nicholas Sparks opening credits. Lots of nature, there’s some water, and of course slow, romantic music.

Ok… is he really risking his life to ask her out? What happened to "no means no"?

Image result for the notebook ferris wheel gif

Aw...okay cute first date! Maybe I can root for them after all.

the notebook GIF

Ok they fight a lot. Maybe this isn’t the best relationship?

the notebook GIF

Allie’s parents really suck.

Image result for the notebook allie's parents gif

Ok so it’s over, but maybe that’s for the best.

Image result for the notebook break up gif

Ok, now we’re in the future. Noah has gone crazy, and Allie found a new man.

rachel mcadams GIF

Noah is horrible to his girlfriend, and Allie is leaving her fiancé to cheat on him.

the notebook GIF

He wrote her 365 letters!!!!

Image result for the notebook 365 letters gif

And after all of that, they’re together.

the notebook love GIF

Now back to the elderly home and preparing myself for the sad part.

the notebook love GIF

Honestly, that ending still gets me.

ryan gosling notebook GIF

In the #MeToo era, The Notebook might not be the most romantic movie. Honestly, this film probably wouldn’t do as well if it was released today. I definitely watched The Notebook with a more critical eye being wiser and more educated, but for its time, The Notebook was a classic and always will be. What’s most important is that we view it now through a 2019-lens. I’m not trying to ruin a classic 2000’s era romance, but I can’t see the movie the same way I did before. I’ll still treasure Allie and Noah’s romance, and that final scene will always have me in tears.