elliott stallion 1UY8UuUkids unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
elliott stallion 1UY8UuUkids unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Voting 101: A Voting Guide for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

When you’re an undergraduate student living (most likely) away from home for the first time since you turned 18 and became eligible to vote, the process of registering and ultimately casting that vote can be intimidating. It can be even trickier if you’re going abroad during an election year—voting from an international location certainly presents its own challenges. Luckily, there are resources on campus and online to help you through it. This article will outline everything you need to know in order to exercise your right to vote.

If you are not yet registered to vote, it’s time to get on it! Many states make it easy by allowing online registration. For Illinois residents, visit the voter registration site and fill out the form. It will require you to provide your Illinois driver license number or state ID card number and the last four digits of your Social Security number.

The NU Center for Civic Engagement is the number one resource to be aware of during this election year. They are home to the non-partisan voter registration initiative called NU Votes. You can visit their Instagram (@NU_CCE), website or their office at 1813 Hinman.

Unsplash/Element5 Digital

The Democratic primary is going on right now; Illinois is a state whose primary falls on Super Tuesday (March 17). In general, the primaries are running from Feb. 3 to June 6—important information if you’re registered to vote in a state that is not Illinois. A list of states and their primary dates can be found here. If you are already registered to vote in the state of Illinois, the voting window opens at 6 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m. As long as you are in line by 7 p.m., you are entitled to cast your vote. In the past, there has been “voter vans” set up by NU Votes in order to give students a convenient place to vote. The vans typically are placed on both north and south campus.

If you are registered to vote in a different state, make sure you check to see when your primary is. You will need to fill out an absentee ballot if this is the case. This ballot will be mailed in ahead of time, meaning there is no need for you to travel home to vote when the time comes. To get your absentee ballot, visit Vote.org and fill out the online form. This method can only be used if you are in the U.S. at the time you are casting your vote. Vote.org provides all the resources you need to find out what your state’s rules are when it comes to absentee voting. The NU Center for Civic Engagement provides physical resources like envelopes and stamps for you to mail your ballot from there.

If you are going to be abroad when you need to vote, there is a different process to follow. For example, if you are planning on being abroad this fall during the presidential election in November, you will need to visit the Overseas Vote Foundation, a nonpartisan voter service for U.S. citizens overseas and uniformed service members. You should request your absentee ballot at least 90 days before the election that you want to vote in. When you visit their website, they will lead you through the process. Answer their questions honestly and make sure you do not skip any. Before submitting, confirm that the answers you have provided are correct. You should receive your ballot about thirty days before the election. For federal elections, offices are required to send your ballot at least 45 days before.

Even though voting can seem a little complicated, participating in our nation’s democratic process is more than worth it. No matter your situation, whether you’re in the country or abroad, there are plenty of resources on campus and online to assist you as you explore the process. Don’t forego your right to vote for the sake of convenience!

Jenna Spray

Northwestern '23

Jenna is a journalism and legal studies double major at Northwestern University. In her free time, she enjoys binge eating dark chocolate and studying Italian in hopes that she can one day become an honorary Italian citizen. As a washed-up high school athlete, fitness is one of Jenna's passions, and her goal is to encourage more young women to get in the weight room. You can find her curled up in her bed watching Gossip Girl or using the squat rack at your local gym.