This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Historically, I have not been kind to my hair. I’ve damaged it with hair wraps, chopped it off and even bleached it over the sink in my basement. One memorable summer afternoon, I attempted to dye it with Kool-Aid, instead dying my hands, face, towel and chair. As evidenced by the brutality of my 8th grade photo, my hair has been to places no one should see. 

After having recently cut my (pink) hair to a successful pixie cut, I received a few requests for hair advice. Below is the collection of that advice.

BEFORE

Research your face shape. This step is too often neglected, and it’s a reason some girls think they can’t rock a shorter look. I can’t tell you how many times a girl has come up to me and said: I love your short hair, but I’m too strong-jawed/curvy/tall to get my hair that short. It’s true that not every style of pixie cut will look good on every girl, but every girl can find a style that will suit her. The key is face shape. You may have loved Emma Watson’s super-short cut, but if, like me, you have a square shaped face, it could make your jaw overpowering. It’s easy to go online and figure out what your face shape is, and even easier to find the right cut for you. For example, I researched “square jaw pixie cut” and came up with dozens of options.

Make sure to think about how upset you’ll be if the haircut doesn’t turn out exactly as you planned. How long has your hair been in its current style? How big of a change is this? And, most importantly, how quickly does your hair grow? Bad haircuts happen to everyone, but you don’t want to be stuck with something for months. If this is a big decision for you, consider going shorter in increments.  On your way to a pixie cut, you may find that you much prefer a bob.

– Never, never get your hair cut short at a place you’ve never been to before. Once you’ve decided to get to hair cut, it can be tempting to waltz into the first place you see and get it over with. Having done this a few times, I can tell you that the excitement is satisfying until you get your hands on a mirror.

– On a similar note, don’t get your hair cut by someone that doesn’t have nice hair. If anyone with split ends and a bad dye job approaches you with a pair of scissors, don’t go through with it. This tip extends to people that aren’t hairdressers. Don’t let your best friend or your roommate try out her skills. Short haircuts might look easy, but they’re not.

DURING

– Bring a picture. By now you should have researched the best haircuts for your face shape, so print out your favorites. The first time I came to a hairdresser with a picture of what I wanted, she thanked me. You might think you can describe what you want, but if you don’t do it correctly, then any mistakes might be your fault.

Consider your hairdresser’s opinions. If you come in with a picture of a haircut, and they suggest making a minor change, listen. Don’t let anyone talk you out of getting a haircut, but remember that these people have been in their business for years, and they’ve seen the same mistakes over and over again.

– Take a before picture! If you’re about to make a drastic change, it will be nice to have a reminder of how far you’ve come. Even if you’re not the type to generally care much about hair, it’s still fun to show your friends.

– If you see something you don’t like, speak up. It’s better to point out a mistake while there’s still time to fix it. In this vein, it’s a good idea to show your hairdresser how you plan on parting your hair. She can keep this in mind while cutting your hair.

AFTER

– Get a mirror and look at the back. No hairdresser should ever let you walk out without seeing the back of your new haircut.

– Your hairdresser is probably going to style your cut after it’s finished. Make sure you watch what they do and which products they use. A common misconception about short haircuts is that they don’t require any work, but most of them will take a few minutes of easy styling in the morning, so that you can get your desired shape. Ask questions.  How often are you going to have to get this cut trimmed? Do you have to blow-dry it every day? Should you use mousse or pomade? 

– If you hate it, don’t panic. Before you rush in and try to make an appointment to fix everything give the look three or four days. Styling is a huge part of how a haircut looks, so once you wash out whatever product your hairdresser used, and style it yourself, you might find you like it more.

– Get some accessories. If you’ve cut your hair drastically short, you’re going to miss braids and buns, so stock up on cute clips and headbands. There are plenty of versatile styles for short hair.

More than anything, remember that your hair is going to grow back. No one gets stuck with a terrible haircut for more than a month or two, and you can always burn those pictures. As for my hair mistakes, there aren’t enough matches in the world.

Thankfully, there is hope.