A Valentine’s Day Guide to Evanston Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock or in a serious state of denial, you’ve probably noticed that February 14th is right around the corner. As in, like, tomorrow. Whether thoughts of the upcoming Hallmark holiday are driving you into the arms of your significant other or into the pint of Ben and Jerry’s you’ve been keeping in the freezer, chances are, you’re going to want to do something this Saturday night. Take a look at this guide for restaurant recommendations to help you schedule a delicious Valentine’s Day dinner in Evanston.

If you’re riding solo…

Two words: order in. You do not want to be that girl sitting alone in a roomful of couples. Taking yourself out to dinner on Single’s Awareness Day could be one of the most self-destructive moves you make this quarter. Postmates or GrubHub is going to be your date for the night, so accept their affection in the form of comfort food.

Recommendations:

-Joy Yee’s: Warm, greasy, Chinese food in giant portions. Nothing says love like a pound of lo mein.

-Cheesies: This might be your only justifiable opportunity to soberly eat a grilled cheese (or two) with french fries inside. Take advantage.

-Clarke’s: Who says you can’t eat breakfast for dinner? You are single and free, not tied down to any man—or eating schedule! Drown in your sorrows by drowning a stack of pancakes in syrup.

-Andy’s: Veer away from the stereotype of being single and stuffing your face with a box of chocolates on Valentine’s Day. Instead, ditch the Godiva and postmate a big cup of this thick custard dessert—it’s much more original.

If you’re with a group of friends…

You’ve assembled a crew of people who just want to use this holiday as an excuse to go out and have a great time. Luckily, there are some great places in Evanston for you to dine loud and in a crowd (Bonus: all of these places have a BYOB option). Don’t forget to call ahead to make sure all of your friends can fit!

Recommendations:

-Todoroki: Tackle the all you can eat sushi menu—you’ll have enough people to help you finish!

-The Olive Mountain: In a place where you can order food by the quart, or just a bunch of small plates, you’ll be able to try a bit of everything.

-Zoba Noodle Bar: With a big menu and even bigger portions, share the Valentine’s Day love with your best friends over plates of carbs and bottles of whatever you choose.

If you’re with your significant other…

Valentine’s Day creates a perfect excuse for you to get your guy to take you out to a really nice meal. This is not the night to order in pizza and watch Superbad on his couch for the hundredth time. So get dressed up, get in a romantic mood, and get a dinner that’s Instagram-worthy.

Recommendations:

-Boltwood: With a menu that changes daily and an exclusively farm-to-table cuisine, this is the prime location for fine dining in Evanston (use this description to justify the prices to your boyfriend—who’s likely to be on a college student’s budget).

-Koi: For sushi fanatics, upgrade from your typical night of a California roll and edamame to share a romantic meal over some extravagant maki.

-Campagnola: With Italian cuisine, white tablecloths, and candlelit dining, this is the ultimate restaurant to play footsie under the table at. Plus, the amazing pasta dishes can help fulfill any Lady and the Tramp fantasies you may be harboring.

If you’re with someone you just started dating…

Going out with someone you’ve known for a short amount of time on a national holiday for love may make you feel a little uncomfortable. Don’t give up a Saturday night with your new man just because everyone’s holding hands and buying teddy bears. Instead, go somewhere more casual, where you’ll have a lot more fun and see a lot less PDA.

Recommendations:

-Tapas Barcelona: Yes, there’s mood lighting, but the small plates and sangria selection can make your meal much more fun than intensely romantic.

-Bat 17: Keep things casual with a couple of great burgers and beers. It’s hard to turn a sports bar into an intimate, serious date location.

-Lou Malnati’s: On Valentine’s Day, it’s very unlikely you’ll run into any romantics at this local pizza place. Grab two slices (or a full pie) for the perfect, low-key date.