Unexpected Color Combination: Yellow and Navy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As the holidays approach and we find ourselves getting giddy for yet another year’s end, it’s easy to get caught up blending in with wearing anything gold, silver, red or green like everyone else. The most refreshing way to stand out of the crowd is to splash a hint of summer to your wardrobe, and mixing navy with yellow is the perfect way to do so. This unexpected combination will make even the most avid Christmas lover get slightly nostalgic for sunflowers and the warm ocean breeze. Here are some ways to add the twist to your outfit as little or as much as you wish. With that being said, happy holidays!

1.      It starts in my toes…

Dress 1Dress 2HeelsFlatsBeltsEarrings 1Earrings 2

The easiest and most subtle way to mix yellow and navy is to start with the shoes. Add some pointy-toed heels or comfy ballet flats in the citrus lemon hue to an elegant navy dress to complete an easy outfit perfect for any holiday get-together. If you want to dress down the look, break it up by adding some neutral accessories like a tan waist belt. Some simple diamond studs will add some sparkle while still letting the colors be the focus of the ensemble.

2.      To the tips of my fingers…

Top 1Top 2SkirtPantsHeels 1Heels 2Clutch 1Clutch 2Clutch 3

Clutches can be a staple for any event. Adding an envelope clutch to a casual outfit instantly creates a laid-back yet sophisticated look, while swapping it for a smaller, more structured one can dress up the entire look for a formal night out. Create a fail-proof outfit by tucking in your navy blouse to either high waist slacks or a bandage skirt, then add on a yellow clutch of your choice to brighten up the overall outfit.

3.      Go all out

Top 1Top 2ShortsSkirtTightsBooties 1Booties 2

If you’re more daring when it comes to the color-blocking trend, look for the brightest yellow blouse and the darkest navy bottom for your next outing. You can either pair a structured blouse with high waist shorts and add patterned tights for a modern look, or match a tie-up blouse with a full a-line skirt for a vintage inspired ensemble.

Either way, mixing yellow and navy is the most unexpected way to stand out this holiday season. If your New Year’s resolution was to be more adventurous but you never quite got around to it, it’s never too late to make it happen now, and why not start with your outfits?