The Ultimate Grammy Performance Break-down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The Grammys are the culmination of any musician’s career. This is what most artists look forward to and essentially make their albums for. Their creativity stems with this moment in mind: receiving the golden record player on a stage watched by millions. One of the best parts of the Grammys are the killer performances. Last year, we saw an amazing show from Ed Sheeran, Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga, Sam Smith and Beyoncé. Will this year be just as good, or better? Here is a rundown of who is going to take the stage so you can decide who will shine before Monday, February 15th. 

Broadway cast of Hamilton: After what was beyond a stellar year, this new musical is nominated for Best Musical Theater Album. They are the 8th Broadway cast in history to be performing for the Grammys. This will be the 4th live performance from a remote theatre (the Richard Rodgers Theater in New York); the last time was with Amy Winehouse from London in 2008.

Adele: The British singer made some of the biggest news this year when she came back with her album 25. While she is not nominated for a Grammy this year, the huge success she had with that CD got her a prime spot singing on the Grammy stage this year. Will she sing the song everyone knows (“Hello”)? Will she do a lesser known but just as powerful ballad (“All I Ask”)? Or will she surprise us with a medley of current and throwback hits? We’ll have to wait and see!

Andra Day & Ellie Goulding: This is the first time both Day and Goulding will be performing at the Grammys as well as their first nominations! Day has two noms for Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Album, Cheers to the Fall – her debut record. While she’s been present in the music industry since 2012, this is looking to be the year she makes her way onto the mainstream music stage. If you like a silky voice with upbeat tempo, check Day out! Goulding is nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance for “Love Me Like You Do,” which with no doubt will be a powerful performance.

Bonnie Raitt, Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark Jr.: Among the many special tributes being done at the Grammys this year, this trio will be celebrating the life of B.B. King, who passed away in May. Raitt has been a performer for a long time and has 10 Grammys to her name. Some of her most famous songs are “I Can’t Make You Love Me” and “Something to Talk About.” Stapleton is nominated for four Grammys this year, including Album of the Year for Traveller. Gary Clark Jr. is also a Grammy winner and is best known for his folksy take on R&B music.

Carrie Underwood & Sam Hunt: Two of the biggest stars in country will definitely light up the stage! Underwood is a veteran to the Grammys, as she already has seven, and is nominated for another one this year: Best Country Solo Performance for Little Toy Guns. Sam Hunt is pretty new but is becoming super popular and even performed with Taylor Swift on her 1989 World Tour in Chicago. He is also nominated for 2 Grammys this year: Best New Artist and Best Country Album for Montevallo. They’ll for sure do a great medley of their hits.

Diplo, Skrillex & Justin Bieber: This trio has definitely made their mark in the music industry this year. Jack Ü (the duo name for Skrillex and Diplo) debuted their incredibly popular album February of last year, and converted many non-Beliebers in the process. They are now nominated for Best Dance Recording for “Where are Ü Now” and Best Dance/Electronic Album. This is going to a hyped performance for sure.

James Bay & Tori Kelly: Both Kelly and Bay are lyrical singers with gorgeous voices. Bay is nominated for 3 Grammys this year, one of them being Best New Artist, which Kelly is also nominated for. It might be hard not to compare them the whole time, but it will certainly be a great part of the show.

Kendrick Lamar: Kendrick has had a record year; his album To Pimp a Butterfly broke Spotify records for most streams on the first day, topped the charts and gave him the most Grammy noms with a whopping 11. His BIG time performance on the Grammy stage will definitely be talked about the next day.

Lady Gaga (performing a David Bowie tribute): The music world experienced incredible loss of so many great talents this past year, including David Bowie. To honor him, the always fabulous Lady Gaga’s set will include three or four of Bowie’s biggest hits. This will be a great way for Gaga to follow up after her amazing Super Bowl rendition of “The Star Bangled Banner.” 2016 may an even bigger year for Mother Monster, with her working on an album and possibly doing a second season of American Horror Story. Watch out world!

Rihanna: Straight off the release of ANTI, Riri will make her first stage performance since the new album dropped. She sang last year with Paul McCartney and Kanye West. Will a certain Canadian rapper make an appearance thanks to their newest duet together? We’ll have to see.

Taylor Swift: Taylor Swift has also had a banner year! She just finished her world tour before the holidays and has a total of 7 Grammy nominations, one of them being Album of the Year. Swift is known for her above-all-else performances, and with the fact that she’s opening the show, you know the night’s going to be great. With Kanye and Taylor currently having a little drama, will we see another VMA-esque interruption? Let’s hope not.

The Weeknd: Although The Weeknd has been in the biz for a bit, he really rocketed just this last year. After the HUGE song that was “Worth It,” and his album Beauty Behind the Madness, he is tied with Swift for second most nominations this year. If his set is anything like his tour, it will be amazing.

Also performing: The Hollywood Vampires (Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp and Joe Perry), Pitbull, Robin Thicke, Travis Barker, Little Big Town

The Grammys will air on CBS, February 15th, at 8 pm EST (7 pm in Evanston). 

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!