This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Hosted by Vogue Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour, and featuring only the most A-list celebrities, the Met Gala is arguably the most exclusive party of the year. For those of you who may not be that familiar with this extravaganza, here are a few things you should know: 

– The party is organized as a charity event to raise money for the Costume Institute.

– Each year attendees are invited to dress according to theme: the 2016 theme being Fashion in the Age of Technoloy (think futuristic).

– Which leads to the last main detail – this is perhaps the biggest night for high fashion and new trends to be tested on the Red Carpet… after all it is hosted by Vogue!

Luckily, for those of us who were not granted A-list celebrity stauts (maybe next year, right?), E! granted us access to the spectacle on Live from the Red Carpet. Here are some of the most memorable outfits from the night.

1. Lady Gaga

In true Lady Gaga fashion, she did not play it safe with her look for the carpet. And by safe, I mean how how did she not fall over wearing those shoes?! My ankles hurt just looking at them! Her outfit is edgy and stylish as always, however, her hair makes her seem more “rocker- girl” than futuristic.

2. Kendall Jenner

Three-time Met Gala attendee, Kendall Jenner, looked AMAZING as always. The subtle blue in her dress made her stand out amung the rest, without distracting from her effortless and natural beauty. 

3. Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik

Followed by Kendall Jenner is her BFF, Gigi Hadid, and boyfriend, Zayn Malik. This power couple was dressed to theme, but maybe Zayn went a bit too far. Those metal arm sleeves definitely raised a few eyebrows. While somewhat distracting, even Zayn’s outfit definitely did not upstage Gigi’s chic slate gray dress and metalic jewlery, which killed it on the carpet.

4. Beyonce

While it’s nearly taboo to say anything bad about Beyonce (she is Queen after all), I’m not sure I personally loved this choice of dress for the Met Gala. While definitely memorable, the dress fabric looks a bit strange and wasn’t entirely fitting for the theme. Besides the dress, she looked pretty flawless and still managed to slay in true Beyonce fashion.

5. Kim Kardashian and Kayne West

Most memorable look of the night goes to none other than Kimye. This high-fashion couple rocked the carpet with silver studs paired with blue jeans. Perhaps what made this duo the most memorable was Kanye’s enlightened and elaborate description of their look as, “Vibes.” Thank you Kanye for sharing your insights into the high fashion world.

*All photos are from E! Online.*