This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Ahh… love is in the air, can you feel it? Whether you’re celebrating with a significant other, situationship, or your besties, Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be complete without a rom-com binge. So gather your chocolates and popcorn, grab a blanket, and snuggle up with your loved ones – we’ve got the movies covered. Here are 10 must-watch rom-com movies to make you swoon, cringe, and giggle this Valentine’s Day: 

1.) Hitch (2005)

Alex “Hitch” Hitchens is New York’s “date doctor,” helping romantically challenged guys secure the women of their dreams. In the movie, Hitchens, played by Will Smith, helps his client Albert woo the heart of glamorous blonde Allegra Cole, all while (less successfully) pursuing his own love interest, tabloid reporter Sara Melas. “Hitch” is filled with dance lessons, goofy laughs, and emotional complications that will tug on your heartstrings – a fantastic choice for any Valentine’s Day get-together. 

2.) Clueless (1995)

Hitch isn’t the only one who can orchestrate love! Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is the “It” girl at her high school in Beverly Hills. Other students basically bow down to her, and she sees her status as a way to be a matchmaker at her school. After successfully playing matchmaker with two of her teachers, Cher sets her sights on elevating clumsy new-girl Tai’s social status. Cher’s makeover skills backfire when Tai becomes more popular than her and threatens her queen bee spot, but perhaps for good reason. Cher is propelled on a journey of self-discovery and improvement, and may even find her own match along the way 👀. Regina George vibes with a twist of Cupid and character-development? Count me in! 

3.) 13 going on 30 (2004)

Imagine if one day, you woke up almost 20 years older in the life of your dreams. Well, for 13-year-old Jenna Rink, that wish becomes a reality. At first, Jenna (Jennifer Garner) is thrilled by the new life she finds herself in – she is a big-time magazine editor and top-notch socialite, and she has a hunky boyfriend to top it all off. However, Jenna soon realizes that the life she had coveted for so long is not all it was chalked up to be. Through reconnecting with her childhood best friend Matt (Mark Ruffalo), Jenna reevaluates her dreams and choices to make a better reality for both her 13-year-old and 30-year-old selves. And, who knows – is love still a part of that dream? Might it be found in unexpected places? Watch to find out! 

4.) she’s the man (2006)

Viola Johnson (Amanda Bynes) has big soccer dreams. She played on her high school team and hopes to play in college one day, but those hopes falter when her school’s coach gets rid of the girls’ soccer team. When her twin brother Sebastian sneaks away to London on a trip with his friends, Viola agrees to cover for him at his boarding school, Illyria. While pretending to be her brother, Viola joins the boys’ soccer team at Illyria, hoping to be able to prove herself in the game. Viola’s soccer journey and brother-cosplaying provide the humor, but of course, no rom-com would be complete without a dash of romance! Love mixes with soccer in She’s the Man when Viola falls for Sebastian’s roommate, Duke (Channing Tatum). Will Viola win the game and the guy? 

5.) Love actually (2003)

Don’t have a ton of time to watch rom-coms this Valentine’s Day? Then Love, Actually is the movie for you! This film kills two birds with one stone… or I guess you could say eight birds! Love, Actually chronicles the romantic trials and tribulations of eight different London couples during the Christmas season, striking a charming balance of holiday cheer and romance. It’s sure to warm your heart and fill your Valentine’s Day with a dash of Christmas joy during such a bleak time of year. 

6.) The Kissing booth (2018)

Okay, I know… but hear me out! Elle Evans (Joey King) has had a crush on her neighbor Noah Flynn (Jacob Elordi) for practically her whole life. The trouble is, Elle is best friends with Noah’s brother Lee, and Lee’s biggest rule is, “No dating my brother.” When she helps with a kissing booth at her school’s spring carnival, Elle unexpectedly kisses Noah, starting a forbidden romance that threatens her friendship with Lee. Calling all my Saltburn fans: if for nothing else, go enjoy The Kissing Booth for its abundance of Jacob Elordi content. For everyone else, The Kissing Booth is lovable for its lighthearted drama, high school crushes, and endearing friendship. And, if you decide you like the first movie enough, there are two sequels to keep you occupied for more of your Valentine’s Day movie binges! 

7.) to all the boys I’ve loved before (2018)

Based on a book series by the same name, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before tells the story of teen Lara Jean’s love life. Lara (Lana Condor) wrote heartfelt letters to five of her crushes but tucked them away without ever delivering them. When the letters get released and her past crushes see what she wrote, Lara has to reckon with the drama brought to her love life. Tune in to find out how Lara deals with this nightmarish problem, and catch a glimpse of Noah Centineo, too! 

8.) 10 things I hate about you (1999)

Wouldn’t you hate it if your dating life depended on your older sibling? Unfortunately for Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik), that’s the case – she can’t date until her older sister Kat (Julia Stiles) gets into a relationship, which has proven to be a challenge due to Kat’s strong personality. Cameron James (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who is interested in Bianca and aware of the terms of her dating life, decides to pay bad boy Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) to pursue Kat. As Patrick spends time with Kat, she starts to open up. However, when she finds out Patrick is being paid to spend time with her, their relationship becomes complicated. She feels betrayed, yet still likes the parts of Patrick that she’s come to know. Cameron’s pursuits of Bianca are further complicated by Bianca’s initial interest in another guy. Watch to find out about the fates of both relationships! 

9.) how to lose a guy in 10 days (2003)

Starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, this movie shows that nothing is certain when it comes to matters of romance. Advice columnist Andie Anderson, played by Hudson, is writing a piece about how women can get a man to leave them in 10 days. On the other hand, big shot executive Ben Berry, played by McConaughey, thinks he can get any woman to fall in love with him in 10 days. When their lives eventually cross paths, both characters’ confidence in their positions on romance clash. Andie and Ben find out that love is not as cut and dry as they had thought!

10.) Crazy rich asians (2018)

This is probably one of my favorite rom-coms of all time, and I don’t say that lightly. Not only is Crazy Rich Asians romantic and comedic, but it also has its fair share of drama (rich people drama = double awesome!) Rachel Chu, played by Constance Wu, goes to Singapore with her long-term boyfriend, Nick (Henry Golding), to attend his best friend’s wedding. To Rachel’s surprise, it turns out that Nick’s family is *crazy* wealthy. Not only that, but Nick is a heavily coveted bachelor in Singapore due to his family’s social status. Rachel has to deal with social pressures, envious bachelorettes, and Nick’s mother (who let’s just say is not Rachel’s biggest fan). This movie will take you on a wild ride of emotions, and you’re sure to walk away obsessed!

Adelle Johnson

Northwestern '27

Adelle is a Northwestern freshman studying Journalism, Political Science, and Spanish. In her free time she enjoys crocheting, dancing, and spending time with friends and family.