Ten Apps Every Northwestern Girl Should Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

1. Evanston (Free)

This app gives you all the discounts, sales, locations, and phone numbers of all the restaurants and shops in Evanston. So when you’re looking for some new cuisine or boutiquees to try outside of the typical downtown Sherman Ave area, look to this app for some new finds.

2. AudioNote ($4.99 Regular) (Free Lite)

This app is great for recording lectures or any other interview/convo you might need, but what makes it unique is that you can take notes while it records. The notes you take then match up to audio, so the written and spoken word are synched. 

3.   8Tracks (Free) 

Ever go through your music library and can’t find that song to fit your mood?  8Tracks does just that. It’s composed of thousands of playlists that you can sort based on picking the adjectives or nouns to describe your feeling. You can go from Chill Indie to Katy Perry or Ke$ha. The combinations are endless and so is the music.

4.  Circle of 6 (Free)

Safety is a must on any college campus. If you’re put in a situation where taking the time to make a call isn’t quick enough, this app takes care of you in two taps. You preprogram 6 trustworthy people with an emergency message, and if an unfortunate occurrence should happen, double clicking will send this message out… X6.

5. Day One (Free)

Being at Northwestern, you define the term busy. Between, classes, clubs, Greek life, sports, and just hanging out, recording those amusing moments results in a quick post on Facebook. Day One is the smartphone journal that allows you to photograph, record, and write about those moments you want to remember without the worry if its Facebook or Instagram worthy. The beauty of the app is its quickness and easy-access. No one as time to just sit down and write about the fun-filled day, it’s Northwestern. Get the app and record the memories as you go. 

6. Nike Training Club

Sometimes you want to get in shape, but just don’t know where to start. Well, here is step one. Nike Training Club offers step-by-step instructions, celebrity workouts, full-body workouts, and an array of specific target drills. You can sync your music to the workouts, and it records your progress. Now, the excuse “I don’t know what to do,” isn’t valid. Get up and get fit. 

7. Bad Date Rescue (Free)

Meeting guys at parties can always be a hit or miss. So, when that one date that you thought had potential turns out be a headache instead of a heartthrob, use this app to schedule a fake emergency phone call. The “incoming call” looks like a real call and even has a voice on the other end. Plus, it can even tell you what to say if you freeze up ditching your date.

8. ASOS (Free)

Stay updated on fashion trends with a weekly magazine that’s interactive. It has videos and pictures on how-to makeup tricks, nail art, style watch, and music. Basically, if you see something you like, click it, and this app will show you how to get it or create it.

9. Uber (App Free) (Service $)

It’s the SafeRide of Northwestern but for anything you want. With this app you can request a private driver to come pick you up from wherever you are. There’s no hassle and little wait. They will literally pick you up from anywhere. Plus, you get a FREE ride in Evanston and $10 off your first ride anywhere else (hello Chicago!) when you sign-up. 

10. ShopSavvy (Free)

Avoid impulse shopping because you think you won’t ever see that cute baby doll dress again. Scan the barcode with ShopSavvy, and it will show you all the stores off and online with cheaper prices. Money is not an expendable commodity when it comes to college, so use this app to save enough money to buy matching shoes.