Style > Beauty

Switching to Natural Beauty Products: Spring Break Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Parabens and phthalates and sulfates, oh my! 

With a recent cultural shift, consumers have been pushing for comprehensively safer and more natural beauty products. While controversial in her methods, the queen of clean, Gwyneth Paltrow, surges the popularity of green products with her brand Goop and newly minted Netflix series “The Goop Lab,” which delves into her formulation of products so pure that you can even dip your fries into them while talking to Jimmy Kimmel.

With spring break only a few weeks away, consider ditching your toxic, chemical-based sunscreen for a mineral-based option. Benefits include eliminating oxybenzone absorption into your skin, as well as supporting the consumption of environmentally friendly products! 

Best Drugstore Buy: Bare Republic Mineral Sport Lotion

Lasting up to 80 minutes, this sunscreen is the go-to choice of defending beach volleyball leauge champions and early morning beach runners. For your sweat sessions, opt for this proven product to combat harsh UV rays and remain shielded despite the heat.

Best for Sensitive Skin: Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen

A cult favorite among its over 800 five-star reviewers on Amazon, this product is free from fragrances, making it the ideal choice for those prone to skin irritation. Additionally, the bottle turns blue when exposed to UV rays, acting as the perfect indicator for you to apply and re-apply throughout the day.

Best Travel Sized: Alba Fast Fix Sun Stick

The perfect addition to your bag this spring break! No need to worry about your sunscreen bottle having a mind of its own and splilling all over your beach read, this both hands-free and mess-free product comes as a solid and combats sun damage to “hot spots,” such as your cheeks, ears and nose.

Best Lip Care: All Good Coconut Sunstick

Infused with organic jojoba, avocado and coconut oils, this product is essential for protecting your most easily forgotten sunscreen application spot. Show your lips some love by simultaneously moisurizing and protecting with this natural balm. 

Best Splurge: Countersun Mineral Sunscreen 

With a slight scent of tangerine and lemon that will transport you to paradise before you even hop on a plane, this product effectively fights off UVA, UVB and blue light rays. Side note: this product is endorsed by Gwyneth herself. 

No matter which product best suits your sun protection needs, be sure to make sunscreen a staple in your vacation beauty routine. Maybe even invest in a stylish sun hat, too!

Sarah Stoiber

Northwestern '22

Sarah is a sophomore at Northwestern University majoring in Cognitive Science while also pursuing a minor in Science in Human Culture. She enjoys listening to podcasts and taking barre classes in her free time.