This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Certain sustainable swaps are common sense. I grew up knowing to trade my plastic grocery bags for canvas tote bags. I know to choose wooden straws over plastic ones, and I know to refill my metal water bottle instead of buying plastic ones. Other swaps aren’t as sensical; products we don’t expect to have a sustainable counterpart often do, and it’s important to keep these options in mind if you’re trying to live more sustainably (which we all should). Last year, one of my best friends from home decided to swap out items from her daily routine with ethical, sustainable options, and she still swears by many of these products today.

Here’s a list of her favorite sustainable swaps you may not have heard of:

Frizz Wrangler Shampoo Bar – Ethique ($15.00)

My friend raves about this product and the company that sells it. She claims that the bar actually works on her thick and frizzy hair, leaving it with a clean and soft feeling. As someone with thick and frizzy hair myself, I know that this feeling is hard to find. The product has a calming coconut smell, and one bar can last an entire year.

Jasmine and Ylang Ylang Body Butter – Ethique ($15.00)

My friend says that the Ethique Jasmine and Ylang Ylang Body Butter smells great and does a fantastic job at moisturizing.

If you aren’t quite sold on Ethique’s product descriptions, their ethical business practices are sure to win you over. Since their founding in 2012, Ethique prevented over 11 million plastic bottles from manufacture. They saved over 2.5 million gallons of water. Just this year, they planted 207,862 trees and offset 1161.64 tons of carbon dioxide. Of their profits, 20% is donated to charity and all shipping is plastic-free. With great products, sustainable practices and reasonable prices, I can’t think of a reason not to support Ethique.

Sustainable Leggings – Wolven

Endorsed by Miley Cyrus, these leggings are definitely worth a try. My friend claims that these leggings are super soft and flattering. Best of all? They have pockets.

Wolven leggings are also made from plastic bottles and contain non-toxic dyes, so they’re cute and environmentally friendly.

Eco-Friendly Mini Face Rounds – Kitsch ($15.00)

Try swapping out your cotton rounds for an eco-friendly bamboo option. This pack of seven from Kitsch contains reusable rounds, so you’re saving money as well as the environment when you purchase them. My friend loves them because they feel gentler than traditional cotton rounds.

I hope you get the opportunity to add some of these sustainable swaps to your daily routine. Affordable but also eco-friendly, they’re all great options to turn your day-to-day greener. Even though Earth Day was last week, it’s important to make eco-friendly choices every day. Happy shopping!

Preeta Kamat

Northwestern '24

Preeta is a sophomore from Rochester, Michigan studying Neuroscience and Global Health Studies in the seven year med program. When she's not working on school, you can find her on coffee runs, exploring campus with friends, baking, or watching reality TV.