In Support of Authentic Celebrity Calls to Action

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Along with the usual flowing ballgowns and sparkling jewelry, another item adorned the outfits of many celebrities as this year’s Academy Awards: an orange American flag pin, in support of Everytown for Gun Safety. This followed similar shows of support for current social movements, such as the all-black outfits at the Golden Globes for the Time’s Up Movement and the white roses at the Grammys for #MeToo.

The orange pins, in particular, are in response to the shooting last month at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, which killed 17 people and has once again brought the issue of gun control into the forefront of the political sphere. While there has been a longer lasting focus after this shooting on creating change, gun control legislation has yet to be passed at either the state or federal level. Everytown for Gun Safety advocates action to honor the victims of gun violence.     Celebrities promoting issues they care about is nothing new; actors and artists have been using their platforms to publicize political issues that are important to them for decades, with varying degrees of eloquence and success. Yet, it has been in recent months, and notably under the current White House administration, in which organized, focused efforts have become almost expected at every awards show.   

It is great that celebrities are using their influence to bring attention to issues that deserve it. Even if it causes only one person to stand up to sexual harassment in their own lives or decide to participate in the march against gun violence, then positive change will have occurred.  However, the ubiquity of the symbols like the black outfits and the orange pin bring into question authenticity of these messages. Are the celebrities wearing these symbolic articles because they actually want to support the causes or just to avoid ostracization if they don’t?   

In reality and as with most complex things in life, there is no one clear answer. Celebrities like Oprah and the Clooney’s have made actual steps toward supporting the cause of gun control, each pledging $50,000 to “March for our Lives,” a march in support of increased gun control. And as we have seen, the Time’s Up and #MeToo have resulted in the termination of many powerful men accused of sexual misconduct in various industries. But for others, it seems as if they are just avoiding the questions and backlash that would come with not supporting the cause.   

There is also a great deal of people that believe celebrities should not be involved at all in politics. Conservatives tend to view this as coastal elites preaching from their elevated positions. Liberals recognize this view and worry that this will only further political division. While I believe celebrities should promote important issues, there is something to be said for this argument when the speeches are all talk and no action. Especially when the celebrities aren’t directly affected by the issue at hand, the message can become blurred. What is truly important is sustained conversation beyond Hollywood to make sure that actual change can be made. In short, celebrities should use their power to support political movements at awards shows, as long as it isn’t just for show.

Images courtesy of Creative Commons and @Oprah on Twitter.