Staying Warm: This Season’s Fall Coats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Red leaves. Pumpkin lattes. Cozy scarves. We love these delightful signs of fall, but they inevitably come with a cost. Biting winds, dreary drizzles, and a harsh drop in temperatures are beginning to grace campus and it’s time to break out your jacket. But don’t grab the trusty old black peacoat or the North Face raincoat just yet. This season offers a multitude of coat trends that will help you stand out from the crowd.

Buy! 
The Cape
If you have a flair for the dramatic, look no further than the cape. Not only will this coat keep you toasty warm, but its over-the-top silhouette adds an instant element of sophistication and style to any outfit. When wearing a cape, make sure to keep the rest of your outfit simple. Steer clear of bulky scarves and slouchy pants. The swingy shape of the cape should be the focal point. A sleek pair of skinny jeans, a simple sweater, and knee-high boots are foolproof.

Buy! 
The Patterned
Patterns have been blowing up the runway for a few seasons now and this fall is no exception. The clothing gods have blessed us with many options for patterned coats and it would be a shame not to take advantage of them. Leopard, geometric, and southwestern prints are among the most coveted this season. And don’t be afraid to rock a floral print either. Although they are traditionally for spring, florals are sticking around for the colder months this year.

Buy! 
The Belted Wrap
It’s easy to look bulky when wearing dozens of layers, but a belted wrap coat keeps your waist defined while sealing out the frigid temperatures. Easy to wear, these coats look fabulous with almost anything. They look especially lovely sans buttons for maximum simplicity. Their streamlined elegance is sure to add a healthy dose of glamour to any outfit. If you have a soft spot for timeless style, the belted wrap is the perfect selection.

Buy! 
The Bright
Ladies, it’s time to say goodbye to your plain black coat. Yes, it’s versatile, but every other girl on campus owns one (or three). It’s getting a little repetitive, no? In an underwhelming sea of navy and black, an unexpected color will stand out from the crowd no matter how simple the coat is. Rich cobalts, magentas, and reds beg to be noticed, while a maroon or forest green lends a more sophisticated twist to the trend.

Buy! 
The Bold Collar
One of the easiest ways to make a statement is with a large collar. Impressive, oversized collars are topping off jacket silhouettes of all types, whether it’s a belted trench or a quilted puffer. No matter which you select, a large, luxurious collar is a statement itself. And sometimes, if you can find a collar big enough, you don’t even need a scarf. Two birds, one stone, and one fabulously dressed girl.

Maya Voelk

Northwestern