This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s time to say goodbye to thick sweaters and parkas. Finally. Put these items at the top of your shopping list to get you Lakefill ready.

Sunscreen

You don’t need me to tell you that wearing sunscreen every day is essential for keeping your skin healthy. You’ve heard it from basically every magazine since your GL days. But as summer approaches, this habit becomes even more important. Swap out your SPF 15 for a stronger daily sunscreen. We love this one from Neutrogena. It protects your skin from the sun and breakouts! Try this one from Neutrogena!

{Also, while we have you—we know you’re pasty white and those tanning beds seem tempting…but…just avoid them.  They’re bad for you and you know it. That’s all!}

Swimsuits

Remember two months ago when scalding hot showers seemed to be the only relief from the bitter cold? Great times, I mean really, the best. But now that spring has sprung, we have another source of heat. ~The Sun~

Yes, it’s a crazy notion, I know.   And beyond warming you up and quieting your totally justified intentions to transfer to University of San Diego, the warmer weather also acts as the perfect excuse for a new swimsuit (not that you needed one).  Check out Orchid Boutique. They have over tons of styles in both unique and classic cuts. AND, because they know Northwestern students deserve the sun, they’ll knock off 15 percent with the code NORTHWESTERNBREAK.

A floral sundresses

If there are flowers on the ground, then you can sure as hell wear them too, right? Plus, come on, it’s spring. You can’t venture into the retail world without being hit in the face with a pansy print. Every store from Forever 21 to Barney’s has got you covered, so pick your poison and go crazy.

A Hat

If you’re like me, then you’ve spent the last decade or two trying to figure out if you’re a “hat person” or not.  Today I’m feeling it, so we’re just going to go with this. 

Hats are low key the best—they can keep the sun out of your eyes, salvage your bad hair days, and tie your entire outfit together. Whether you want to go old school with a baseball cap or boho with a floppy sunhat, this spring must-have can be fashionable and functional. Mom would be so proud.

Sandals You Can Walk In  

The fact that Birkenstocks have returned blows my mind. Growing up in Seattle, I thought I had them pegged as the Official Footwear of Granola Moms Who Love Hiking and Campfires and Celebrating the Bi-Annual Solstice.  But then I saw Miranda Kerr wearing in them. And Alexa Chung. And Heidi Klum.  Plus, my best friend (she lives in California) gave them her official seal of approval. The supermodel and best friend Seal of Approval? Doesn’t get much better.

Maya Voelk

Northwestern

Alyssa Raiola

Northwestern