This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s that time of year again: Christmas music is on the radio, Starbucks is serving their holiday drinks in festive cups, and friends are coordinating their secret snowflake gift exchanges. It’s also time for tacky sweater parties.

Although it’s fun to scope out the local thrift shops and garage sales for your tacky sweater, most of us don’t have more than a few of these gems in our closets. It’s tough to get creative with your outfits as the season goes on.

While the classic sweater and tights combination can be fun at first, some accessories and minor modifications can make your outfit more versatile. Who says you can’t wear a tacky sweater every day?

Variation 1: When comfort is a priority

There’s nothing more comfy than an oversized sweater. During finals week the campus is almost uniformly dressed in giant sweaters and leggings. If your tacky sweater hits your mid-thighs, pair it with some tights, docs and a beanie and you’re set for finals. This is a fun way to get some more use out of your sweater and I guarantee that it will boost your holiday spirit.

Variation 2: Frat hopping

Theme nights are always fun, but they’re sometimes inconvenient when you’re hoping to go to multiple parties. I always go for a tacky cardigan because they’re easiest to just throw on top of any outfit. Pair your sweater with a crop top and high-waisted shorts to make your outfit work in any party setting. It’s super easy to ditch the cardigan if the party gets too warm later on.

Variation 3: Christmas chic

Make your tacky sweater classy by pairing it with a lacy skirt, pearls and cute flats. This outfit is great for a holiday party with your friends and family, but it also transitions easily to fit a theme party. If you’re in the mood to get super festive, rock a gift bow in your hair.

Kristin Mathuny

Northwestern

Northwestern sophomore; journalism major, integrated marketing certificate, sociology minor.