This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Heading home for spring break? It’s nothing to be ashamed of! Although many students will be hopping on planes and hitting the beaches, some of us, including myself, will be heading home for spring break. In order to make your spring break equally exciting as being on a tropical island, here are 5 things you can do to spice up your spring break at home.

1) Try a new restaurant in your town.

If you live in a big city, this is a perfect opportunity to get up and challenge yourself to try something new. However, you may be saying, “but I’ve lived here all my life, I’ve already tried all of the restaurants…” Don’t worry! Venture to a neighboring town, and explore. In addition, look at this as an opportunity to get you off of the couch. The possibilities are endless, and regardless of where you end up, you’ll get some yummy food out of it which is all that matters.

2) Take a day trip!

Even if you live in the middle of nowehere (like myself), there are always places to travel within your state. From going to a park to hike or even heading to a shopping mall, hop in the car with a friend and drive spend the day doing something new or something you love! This is a great way to occupy your time and keep you entertained!

3) Make an effort to reconnect with high school friends

Sometimes in college it is easy to get side-tracked and busy, especially during job recruiting season or finals. While at home, make sure you’re using this as a chance to spend time with your friends who also will be home during that time. Grab some coffee, or even have a girl’s night out. You never realize how much you’ve missed them until you’re able to finally catch up.

4) Treat yourself!

Being at home is a time to finally relax. So catch up on your sleep, binge watch that Netflix show you haven’t had the time for, and don’t feel bad about lounging around. You’ve worked so hard all quarter – treat yourself!

5) Spend time with your parents

After being away at college, your parents are more eager to spend time with you than ever. Take advantage of having the opportunity to hang out with your parents, especially if you are pursing an internship in another city. They will appreciate it more than you know.

Even though it may not be a journey to a foreign country, spring break at home can be just as great as vacationing elsewhere!