This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Music has always been an important part of my life. It helps me reflect on certain places and periods of my life through its sentimental effects. Ever since arriving to campus in September, I have begun subconsciously associating songs with my surroundings as I continue to become more comfortable with the ins-and-outs of Northwestern. From some unconventional campus secret spots to staples of downtown Evanston, here are some of my favorite places to frequent at NU and the corresponding song which I feel perfectly captures their unique energies.

Clark Street beach & “Lilo” by The Japanese House

Starting off with one of the best parts of going to school at Northwestern, we have the lakefront and view of the Chicago skyline. A quick walk along the water is the perfect start to your day and a great way to center yourself and prepare for whatever is to come. My personal favorite study and sunset spot is the bench to the right of the Segal Visitors Center looking out at the Sailing Center from the right. When the weather is cooperative in Evanston, nothing beats being surrounded by the crashing waves of the lake juxtaposed with the beauty of downtown Chicago in the distance. English indie-pop musician Amber Mary Bain, better known as The Japanese House, has one of my favorite discographies for relaxing and fully immersing myself in a serene, sonic atmosphere. Their 2019 album “Falling” is the perfect soundtrack for a day at the beach, and “Lilo” captures the ethereal feeling of nature through its lulling melodies, synthesized backing tracks and cerebral lyrics. 

You were floating like a lilo/With your eyes closed, going where the tide goes/Caught in flux, you drifted ’til you hit the sides/Hold my breath another minute/I can keep my head, there’s nothing in it/I’m a patient wave/And it’s an easy ride

“Lilo” by The Japanese House

Henry Crowne Sports Pavillion (SPAC) & “Just a Stranger” by Kali Uchis ft. steve lacy

Henry Crowne Sports Pavillion, or SPAC, is the largest athletic complex on campus, with 95,000 square feet of workout facilities, tennis and squash courts, basketball courts, an aquatic center and so much more. Located on North Campus, SPAC is the go-to spot to get a workout in, whether you’re a complete beginner looking to have fun and try new things or a fitness enthusiast. SPAC also offers many guided fitness classes free of charge for NU students that I completely recommend trying out. Some friends and I took a yoga and pilates class during Wildcat Welcome, and although we were definitely struggling to keep up, it was a great time and a fun way to meet new people with similar interests. After a workout, I love to use some of my dining dollars at Protein Bar: a spot located near the entrance which sells all kinds of smoothies, acai bowls and healthy snacks. Now I don’t know about you, but one of the key parts of any workout for me is having a killer playlist to keep me motivated. “Just a Stranger” by Kali Uchis ft. Steve Lacy is a feel-good, high-energy jam to make any workout infinitely more fun. This assertive and funk-inspired record is the perfect addition to any morning run with its captivating beat and just-plain-fun energy.

Go and say what you want/You’re just a stranger/ Watching from the bleachers/’Cause you can’t take the danger

“Just a Stranger” by Kali Uchis ft. Steve Lacy

Plex dining halls & “oh caroline” by The 1975

I know that this is a controversial take, but just hear me out. Foster-Walker Complex, better known as “Plex,” is home to not one, but two dining halls. Plex East features “Pure Eats” — food safe for students with dietary restrictions. But, Plex is most famous for its build-your-own stir-fry station. Also, most recently, it became home to the campus’ first ever soft-serve ice cream machine, perfect to satisfy your sweet tooth. Plex West features comfort foods and always has a diverse selection of cuisine. When thinking of what song could accurately capture the spirit of the most underrated dining hall at NU, I thought of no other than “Oh Caroline” from The 1975’s recent release “Being Funny In a Foreign Language.” In my opinion, this track is seriously slept-on and can always bring me out of a slump after a setback. The 1975’s nostalgic sound reminds me of my hometown in the same way that a good meal with friends can make you feel at home, even in new surroundings. 

I’ll do anything that you wanna/I’ll try anything that you wanna/I’ll find myself in the moonlight

“Oh Caroline” by The 1975

walkover between deering and university library & “Running Out of Time” by Tyler, The Creator

Perhaps the most underground (pun-intended) spot on this list, visiting the walkover tunnel between Deering and University (Main) Libraries is a staple of my weekly routine. After spending several hours staring aimlessly at my homework in the main room of Deering, I frequently make the trek to Main to find a more comfortable and secluded spot to help me focus. The walkover is a dark, antique-feeling enclave that makes one feel as if time has stopped, even if it is just momentarily. “RUNNING OUT OF TIME” by Tyler, the Creator’s groundbreaking album “Igor” too marks this feeling of urgency and timelessness through its vintage hip-hop-inspired sounds combined with modern flow and technological elements. 

Runnin’ out of time, runnin’ out of time, runnin’ out of time/Runnin’ out of time to make you love me

“RUNNING OUT OF TIME” by Tyler, the Creator

the rock & “not cool anymore” by morgan reese

No visit to Northwestern is complete without a stop at The Rock: a landmark of campus familiar to all community members . Long story short, a broken water fountain froze over in the mid-1900s, and students began painting over it until it had been repainted so many times that it had amassed to the size of a giant rock. Today, students guard The Rock for 24 hours before being able to paint it with any message imaginable — from club announcements to political statements. The Rock is an intersection of sorts for students passing by on their way to classes, and it is the perfect place to do some people-watching of tour groups and reminisce about what brought you to Northwestern in the first place. Morgan Reese’s “not cool anymore” blends a halcyon melody with melodramatic lyrics that detail the difficulties of transitioning into a new period of her life. Reese’s music is a quintessential facet of my “walking to class” playlist, and her talent is truly evident as evident by her up-and-coming status in the music world.

I’ve been twiddling my thumbs and playing games/ Racking my memory tryna empty my brain/ Figuring out how to get on with my lifе

“not cool anymore” by Morgan Reese

crossroads trading & “Lovesick in Public” by Zoe KO

After my classes on Fridays, I love making the walk into downtown Evanston and exploring some of the great local businesses in the area. One of the best places to explore is Crossroads Trading on Sherman Ave. — a thrift store where you can sell used clothes and find some new wardrobe-staples. Crossroads always has a wide variety of styles and pieces, and it is perfect for finding high-quality pieces for affordable prices all while promoting sustainability. The vibes at Crossroads are quintessentially cool, just like this next track, “Lovesick in Public” by Zoe Ko, which uses punk-rock undertones mixed with a traditional pop style to create a unique and memorable sound. Ko’s voice is edgy and captivating, and her tongue-in-cheek lyrics make her a hidden gem that I hope gets more mainstream attention in the future.

My cheeks red like a cherry/Help me cause I am berry/Lovesick in public

“Lovesick in Public” by Zoe Ko

evanston whole foods & “silk chiffon” by MUNA Ft. Phoebe Bridgers

Although not a unique site to Evanston, Whole Foods is a staple for students’ last-minute grocery needs and to get a break from the often repetitive cuisine of the dining halls. Simply taking my bi-weekly stroll through the produce section with good music blasting through my earbuds makes me feel like a true adult, which can be both scary and liberating in many ways. In a departure from her usual slow, crooning ballads, Phoebe Bridgers collaborated with LA-based pop collective MUNA in 2021 to create the joyful tune “Silk Chiffon” that you can’t help but sing along to. “Silk Chiffon” is the perfect pick-me-up to raise your spirits after paying way too much for two items at Whole Foods and can help you forget about any of your troubles, grocery-related or otherwise. 

I’m high and I’m feeling anxious/Inside of the CVS/ When she turns ’round halfway down the aisle/ With that ‘you’re on camera’ smile/Like she wants to try me on

“Silk Chiffon” by MUNA ft. Phoebe Bridgers

Table to Stix Ramen & “You’re not good enough” by Blood Orange

My favorite restaurant in downtown Evanston is Table to Stix Ramen at 1007 Davis St. because it serves some of the best Japanese and Korean dishes in the area. The restaurant has a multitude of options, from crab rangoons to bulgogi pork buns, but their ramen truly steals the show. I personally suggest the Modern Tonkotsu or Miso Veggie Ramen, which would make an exquisite dinner as we head into the cold winter months. My song selection for TTS is “You’re Not Good Enough” by Blood Orange — an alternative and spacey track that perfectly encapsulates the traditional elements of comfort cuisine with the sleek, modern aesthetic of the restaurant (and the singing robot-server that occasionally delivers your food to you)!

Watch what you say/Could never mean a word and still hurt you/Look the other way/Please tell me that I’m wrong

“You’re Not Good Enough” by Blood Orange

Shakespeare garden & “Helen of Troy” by Lorde

After a long day, there is nothing better than taking a much-needed break to enjoy some beautiful sites in nature. The Shakespeare Garden, located near the east end of Garrett Place, boasts a collection of over 50 plants mentioned by Shakespeare in his famous works. The garden is an idyllic haven on campus where students can take a break from the hectic routines of their daily lives and gain a newfound appreciation for the natural world. “Solar Power,” Lorde’s much-anticipated third studio album after taking a break from the music industry, captures the feelings of personal introspection reminiscent of the garden itself. “Helen of Troy” offers particular insights into Lorde’s inner psyche, and its academia references are sure to build new, profound meaning for any history or literature enthusiast.  

Give yourself a break, have a little faith/Let’s hear it for the girls/Livin’ in the modern world

“Helen of Troy” by Lorde

Norris University center & “Hot in It” by Charli XCX and Tiesto

Our last stop on our tour is Norris University Center: NU’s hub for restaurants, community spaces and other various hidden gems to explore. Sure, Norris is great anytime of the day, but it is after the sun goes down that things really get crazy (as I’ve learned). Just two weeks ago, I found myself hobbling down the steps at 9:30 PM for my second dinner of the night, where I was met with an alarmingly pleasant surprise. The lower level had turned into a club of its own with significantly better music than any parties I went to on Halloweekend. This final track, “Hot In It,” was indeed an actual song I heard while ordering the most abysmal MOD pizza in history. It was made from minimal ingredients left at the end of the day (chickpeas, pineapple, cucumbers …I’ll leave it at that). But in all seriousness, Charli XCX’s confident cadence and high energy bravado is the perfect closer to re-hype yourself up for wherever the night may take you, whether it be a night out with friends or a last-minute midterm cram sesh. 

You and me, we never, ever made much sense/ I’m too independent, no offense/Boy, don’t be sad about the things I said/Don’t cry, cry, cry

“Hot in It” by Charli XCX and Tiesto

Julia Benkendorf

Northwestern '26

Julia is a first-year student from Chicago, IL studying Journalism at Northwestern University. In her free time, you can find her swimming at the athletic center, exploring downtown Evanston with friends, chasing her dachshund puppy, Tilly, around the park and over-analyzing Taylor Swift's cryptic Instagram posts. Julia would like to thank her mother for always inspiring her love of style and fashion, as well as for always encouraging her to follow her passions.