Ski Team Cutie Jack Foster ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Jack Foster

Year: Junior

Hometown: Lexington, Ma.

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Journalism, English minor

Tell us about your involvement with Northwestern’s Ski Team.

I’m the events chair for the ski team, which basically means I plan out all the rad ski team gatherings, such as our Thanksgiving dinner, movie premieres, and Octoberfest. I also live in the Ski Haus this year, which has been an awesome experience so far. Otherwise, I love skiing/ all winter activities (To me skiing is like riding a roller coaster that you have complete control of and happens to be in the middle of gorgeous nature), so I’m skiing as much as I can and hanging out with ski team kids all the time.

Do you enjoy any other outdoor sports/ activities? 

Absolutely, I love camping, any boating activities, body surfing (I get intense about body surfing), skateboarding, and stargazing. I LOVE stargazing. I kind of like everything outdoors, and want to ski bum in Jackson Hole, Wyoming once I graduate (We’ll see what my parents say about that).

Describe your personality.

I’m usually kind of a quiet guy, but I’m known to be incredibly goofy once you get to know me. In my opinion, one of the most important facets of life is laughter; I love to laugh and I like to hear others laugh. I think the best gauge of someone’s personality, though, is imagining what sort of animal they would be, and I strive to be like the honey badger. If you haven’t watched a Discovery channel episode on this crazy creature, you should definitely check it out. I’d describe a honey badger as a ball of bad-ass energy, so I guess, in the end that’s what I try to model my personality and life outlook around.

What’s your idea of the perfect date?

Drifting on a big raft down the Colorado River under a blanket of stars with some fine wine. That would be pretty sweet.

What are your biggest pet peeves?

I don’t think I really have that many, I’m a pretty laid back kind of person.  Although, I do hate it when people complain a lot; life’s too short and so amazing to waste time with unhappiness. Also, on a similar vein, I hate stress, and Northwestern students are really good at producing it. Sometimes people around these parts just need to take in a deep breath and pause for a second.

What are some words you live by?

I don’t have any words that have kind of stuck with me through the years, but this summer I kind of borrowed the mentality: “Make everyday an adventure” from a few of my friends.

What’s one thing about you not everyone knows?

I can wiggle my ears and I don’t know how to burp.