This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

SISTERS. If you’ve ever wanted a best friend to share all your secrets with but that also beats you up from time to time, I would definitely recommend one. Most people can relate to the relationship shift that happens between siblings once you all start to grow up – particularly, in my case, when one of you moves out of the house. These are just a few of the ways sister relationships can change over the years:

Then

We play with Polly Pockets together, and she always gets to pick first because she’s the oldest.

Now

We play virtual Snapchat dress-up together from dressing rooms in two different states.

Then

I steal her clothes.

Now

I wear her stolen clothes shamelessly because we live 2000 miles apart.

Then

I look up to her, copy her style and she rolls her eyes and acts like we have nothing in common.

Now

We share our totally opposite life stories with each other and both admire the other for their amazing accomplishments.

Then

We are total opposites, and each thinks the other is crazy.

Now

We are total opposites, and each thinks the other is an amazing wonderful human slaying her way through the mess that is adulthood.

Then

One of us says something annoying and the other one rolls her eyes.

Now

Then

We loved each other but pretended like we didn’t.

Now

We love each other and cherish the rare and wonderful moments where we can act like ten-year-olds together.

Sisters – the best friend you never chose and never thought you wanted, but wouldn’t trade for the world.

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.