Shedding some Light on Eating Disorders Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Her Campus Nationals is sponsoring a campaign this week called #LovingMe, which is a way to put a positive focus on Eating Disorders Awareness Week.  HC Readers and all of their friends can post something they love about themselves that are unrelated to their physical appearances on various social media platforms, and when the campaign ends on March 2, HC will post their favorites online.

This campaign is a great way to boost our confidence and see that there is so much to each of us than our physical appearances. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, up to 24 million people in the United States battle an eating disorder, and 95 % of those people are between the ages of 12 and 25.

In fact, 25 percent of college women will engage in purging and binging during some point at their college career. And unfortunately that battle is not easily won. Almost half the people with eating disorders also meet the criteria for depression, and there is a very high chance that they will continue to struggle with their eating disorder.

Eating Disorders are classified under the umbrella of mental illnesses, and have the highest mortality rates among mental illnesses. I think many people, especially college students, don’t realize this. Our campus is beginning to make progress towards addressing mental health issues, but it’s important to educate ourselves on the various kinds of mental health issues that students here and all over the world struggle with. 

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 25 percent of college students have or will develop an eating disorder. That could be 1 in 4 students here at Northwestern. That seems like a lot, especially for a disorder that isn’t talked about very much under the category of mental illness.

Some of the problems with eating disorders, as with other mental illnesses, are the stigmas that surround them. Many students who suffer from eating disorders are afraid seek help, or tell anyone about their disorder, even after they receive help.

Here at NU, we have a set of resources for students who struggle with eating disorders and other mental health issues, but the stigma with using these services keeps many students from going to them. 

What can we do to help? First, we can work to create a more open environment. Active Minds, Northwestern’s Mental Health Awareness Group held a “Stigma Panel” this fall where four students shared their personal stories about struggles with mental illness. As students of a stressful, competitive community, we really need to be there for those who are struggling.

We need to keep the discussion open about mental health. If we are open about our own issues and accepting to hear those of others,  more people will feel comfortable reaching out to us for help.

Photo Credit: The Daily Northwestern, Stigma Panel 2013

We also need to educate ourselves. Eating Disorders Awareness week is a great time to reflect on these issues, and make sure we look out for people in our own lives who may be struggling, or to seek help for our own issues.

Sometimes, I think we all get caught up to the day to day chaos at Northwestern. I feel like I don’t stop to breath for a second some days. But, weeks like this are here for a reason. Pay attention to the media and take a second to learn about these issues, because they are important ones.

And if this is an issue that speaks to speak to you, get involved. Kappa Delta holds a “Confidence Week,” CAPS hosted “Body Acceptance Week” this year and Active Minds promotes their “Stress Less Week” around exam time.

This week, remember to love yourself. Participate in the #Lovingme campaign and take that extra effort to remind yourself that you are beautiful. But also, don’t forget the women that may have trouble believing that. Remember the women who are struggling and reach out to support them. They are our sisters, our classmates, and our friends.