Scoring A Stellar Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With internship deadlines fast approaching, it’s easy to get lost in the flurry of resumes, cover letters, writing samples and online forms. But whether you’re an engineer or an English major there are a few easy tricks you can follow to land your dream internship this summer. I spoke with Betsy Gill, Assistant Director of Internship Services at Northwestern’s University Career Services, about the best way to go about your job search, from submitting your resume to rocking an interview.

1.      Make a Standout Resume

In order to make a really stand out resume, you have to make it …well… stand out visually. Resume’s should typically be no longer than one page and should make an attempt to diverge from the standard Times New Roman font. Just be sure to keep it professional. A great resume should also be tailored to the position that you’re applying for, according to Gill.

“It’s important to study the job description or posting to see what the company is looking for. Then compare your resume to the posting to see if you have made sure to highlight the right skills and accomplishments so the relevant and key words will stand out and you’ll be consider a good match for the company,” says Gill.  

2.      Know Where to Look

Northwestern’s job search database CareerCat is a great place to start. Employers from across the country post job and internship opportunities, which makes it pretty easy to apply. Gill also recommends national sites like internships.comindeed.comidealist.org, makingthedifference.org.

[pagebreak]
3.      Use Your Connections

In today’s job market, connections and networking skills are becoming more and more important for landing your dream internship. Alumni associations are a great place to start. Career services holds regular networking events  that can yield some great connections and possibly even a mentor. Gill also suggests attending Chamber of Commerce meetings to look for connections in your city.

“Evanston, for example, has monthly networking breakfast meetings where area business owners attend to get to know each other. Often these members are looking for interns or college students looking to work on projects,” says Gill. “If you open yourself up to the possibility of helping someone local this could lead to great opportunities.”

4.      Brush Up on Your People Skills

People skills are essential part of nailing the interview process. If the job is local, try to submit a copy of your resume in person. It shows real initiative and helps potential employers put a face with your resume. Another tip for making interviewing easier goes against every bit of advice your mother ever gave you: practice talking to strangers.

“I reflected back to my own sorority experience and agreed that it was a great training ground for future networking and interviewing. During recruitment you learn how to introduce yourself and how to make conversation,” says Gill. “And this is essential for making a strong first impression – something that can make or break your interview.” 

If you aren’t in Greek Life, you can practice these same skills by setting up a mock interview with Career Services.

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo